Turn on thread page Beta

Laptop Sugestions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need a laptop for university, that is very good and relatively cheap like within £200-£400 range, the laptop has to be compatible with processing software though, which i am sure most decent laptops are. The university is prepared to lease basic laptops (no touchscreen or expanded processor or memory, i.e. 1.6 GHz intel Celeron processor, 4GB memory, 320GB hard drive) for £75. Is it worth me leasing a laptop or buying my own laptop.

If you think its worth me buying my own laptop, please give me good suggestions.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just for uni I have an ASUS transformer tab, was £250 when I bought it, now around £199. It's absolutely **** don't get it hahaha. It was sold to me as a lightweight, speedy, uni appropriate laptop.

The battery life is amazing. And that's about it. Don't get one can't suggest what you should get, but I know that will be suggested due to price etc. IT IS SO BAD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz94)
    Just for uni I have an ASUS transformer tab, was £250 when I bought it, now around £199. It's absolutely **** don't get it hahaha. It was sold to me as a lightweight, speedy, uni appropriate laptop.

The battery life is amazing. And that's about it. Don't get one can't suggest what you should get, but I know that will be suggested due to price etc. IT IS SO BAD.
    Thanks for the reply, lool unlucky about the laptop, also thanks for making me aware about the ASUS transformer tab I will stay clear of that laptop. I also bumped up the price to £400 so i get more suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UghDecisions)
    I need a laptop for university, that is very good and relatively cheap like within £200-£400 range, the laptop has to be compatible with processing software though, which i am sure most decent laptops are. The university is prepared to lease basic laptops (no touchscreen or expanded processor or memory, i.e. 1.6 GHz intel Celeron processor, 4GB memory, 320GB hard drive) for £75. Is it worth me leasing a laptop or buying my own laptop.

If you think its worth me buying my own laptop, please give me good suggestions.

Thanks
    I am sure I bought PC like that about 15 years ago. Have a look around. Look out for i5 processors and the more memory the better. Don't bother with touchscreen. It is an expensive frippery that just isn't required.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I am sure I bought PC like that about 15 years ago. Have a look around. Look out for i5 processors and the more memory the better. Don't bother with touchscreen. It is an expensive frippery that just isn't required.

Good luck!
    Buy this bro: Acer ES1-311, 13.3", Laptop, Intel Celeron, 4GB RAM, 1TB

Solid laptop, with great memory and easy to use.

ReputationRep:

Good luck!
    LOL, is it that bad, i guess i will definitely get my own laptop. Are i5 processors good?

ReputationRep:
    Ideally, you want an i7, but they start at around £500. i3 are ok, but rather low spec, so nicely in the middle are i5s. There are AMD equivalents which may be cheaper so do a bit of research and have a look at various review sites.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ideally, you want an i7, but they start at around £500. i3 are ok, but rather low spec, so nicely in the middle are i5s. There are AMD equivalents which may be cheaper so do a bit of research and have a look at various review sites.

Good luck!
    OH ok thanks. Just one last question, from your experience with computers is there any brand of computers i should stay away from?

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, I have no idea. You are going to have to turn to the reviews for that one. I have a Lenovo, my wife and HP. Both are ok but definitely better once you have uninstalled all the preinstalled software! :-)

Just did a search for you on Amazon - this one seems a cracking deal: [link removed]

Trouble is that it is used, although on visual inspection it seems in pristine condition. It is also fulfilled by Amazon, so free Student Prime shipping and 30 days no quibble free return.

Would probably get this if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UghDecisions)

Thanks
    If its for basic usage, etc minimal open application any basic laptop will do, if you use a lot of applications or a heavy chrome user then more ram would do you good.

Though if you get a chance to change the lease laptop every year that is pretty decent.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.