Turn on thread page Beta

"Most of the people in the UK hate the gays and the others are just pretending." watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To what extent is that statement true?

EDIT: this is not coming FROM me, it was said by someone I know. I, of course, disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagafacea1)
    To what extent is that statement true?
    I'd estimate it's roughly 0% true :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    To no extent at all. Most are fine with them.

ReputationRep:
    It's not hate. But most pretend to be more comfortable with it than they actually are.

ReputationRep:
    I am against the legalisation and normalisation of homosexuality in society. It's ok if they do it privately and do not publicise It.

ReputationRep:
    Disagree with the statement. Someone is just dumb and very closed minded.

ReputationRep:
    According to recent statistics the statement is 20% true, 42% of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    I am against the legalisation and normalisation of homosexuality in society. It's ok if they do it privately and do not publicise It.
    Isn't the thinking that homosexuality isn't normal archaic?

I think quite a few people are pretending to like gay people since it being enforced more and more that homosexuality is normal and natural - which it is especially at this point in our society.

The UK seems to puffing out their chest and stating that we're a tolerant nation a lot these days but it's becoming increasingly clear that this isn't strictly true and there are probably some out there who say it simply so that won't be hated for being homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    It's not hate. But most pretend to be more comfortable with it than they actually are.
    How do you know 'most' do? Have you asked 'most' people? Or are you just projecting?

ReputationRep:
    Very untrue. However I think most people still view heterosexual relationships as the "ideal". Most parents would prefer their kids to be heterosexual, most people would prefer a kid to be raised by heterosexuals. I think it's very naive to think that acceptance of homosexuality is so thorough that such viewpoints are no longer common.

ReputationRep:
    The younger generation really don't care all that much at uni and stuff.

I think a lot of people say they are comfortable with it but aren't when actually faced with it. When I'm out with my girlfriend we still get a lot of stares for holding hands, although they're not necessarily hostile.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.