Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm thinking of doing the course at Cambridge where in the first 2 years you study Law, and the last year Management. This is called the Management Studies Tripo.

Has any one else been interested in this course, has anybody taken it all the way?
    I would be glad to here some thoughts regarding this course.

Thank you,

Alex

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would work doing just Part IA and IB law, because that would leave you without a qualifying law degree. I don't know if you could plan around this from the start because you don't apply for the management tripos until you actually get to that stage.

I think the management tripos is usually done as an additional year. You would therefore do a full, three year law degree, and tag a year on the end of that. This would require you to get pretty solid grades throughout. I think they turn a fair few people away.

I may be wrong on some of this, but make sure you're absolutely clear on how you would proceed before you apply.

edit: it may be possible to just do the first two years of the law degree, but pretty pointless imho. Even aside from not having a QLD, doing a law degree without doing equity or EU law would be... oddly lacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schreij)
    Hello!

I'm thinking of doing the course at Cambridge where in the first 2 years you study Law, and the last year Management. This is called the Management Studies Tripo.
    that isn't a 'course' at Cambridge. The one year Management Sciences tripos can be done as the third year of any degree, it doesn't have to be Law.

There are two reasons for which a person might typically make the switch to Management. The first is that he is concerned about the employment prospects attaching to his degree (the switch from Theology) the second that he is struggling in the course he is doing (the switch from Maths).

Your plan makes no obvious sense. As Timmona Portella says, you wouldn't get a qualifying Law degree, and Cambridge Law is at least as marketable as is two years of Law + a nine month ab initio course in management.

What you are proposing, then, is to apply for one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge (Law) in order to graduate with a degree that is less impressive and no more marketable than would be the one you'd get for only sticking within the Law faculty and getting the BA in Law.

While it still wouldn't be advisable, there'd at least be a rationale for applying for a much less competitive course (Modern Languages, Education) in order to secure entry and with the prior intention of switching out to Management for the final year. This, though? No.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.