Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

That's my situation:

I am Italian, 21 years old and graduating in Economics & Management in July 2016 from a good uni (not the best know though) in Milan. My GPA is currently around 4.0/4 (30.12/30 in Italian marks) and I realistically think I will graduate with the maximum mark (summa *** laude), I just took the GMAT and scored 720 and I am doing a semester abroad in Australia. I have no relevant work experience in the field of finance (but i have about 4 years of part-time work experience in the field of event organization), average volunteer work and extracurricular activities. I am currently applying to some off-cycle internship programs in IB & management consulting, but you know the selection process is very long and nothing can be taken for granted.

I want to continue my studies as a postgrad in the field of finance, and I will apply to Oxford, Cambridge, LSE and LBS (the new Msc in Financial Analysis pre-experience).

The dilemma is the following: do you guys think it is more important to apply as soon as possible (in other words NOW!!) to have more chances to get into at least one of the programs, or do you think it is better to wait to first get a good internship to be written on the CV so that my applycation would be much stronger?
    In the first case I would be in advantage applying soon but I would be defective as far as relevant work experience is concerned, while in the second case I would be more competitive but I will likely submit my application quite late, so that my chances will be lower due to the few places left.

Thank you in advance, i look forward to hearing your responses because I've not been able to get through this problem so far!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why you think an internship ( which you may or may not actually get) would make your application "much" stronger, especially seeing that at least two of those programs are specifically pre-experience. By all means wait a month or two to see if anything comes up, but I wouldn't leave it too long to apply. Except maybe for Cambridge, where they don't seem to start looking at the applications till the closing date.

ReputationRep:
    You should apply before the first deadline, and the first deadline is still a bit away so there's no rush. I don't think they read applications before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    I'm not sure why you think an internship ( which you may or may not actually get) would make your application "much" stronger, especially seeing that at least two of those programs are specifically pre-experience. By all means wait a month or two to see if anything comes up, but I wouldn't leave it too long to apply. Except maybe for Cambridge, where they don't seem to start looking at the applications till the closing date.
    All those programs are pre-experience, but since competition to get in is fierce, an internship could complete my profile showing my commitment and i'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. I also tried to send my profile to LBS (they offer to assess your CV and give you feedback for free) and they clearly told me that I need some kind of relevant financial work experience. I think that's more or less something that should be taken for granted when applying to those kind of programs..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    You should apply before the first deadline, and the first deadline is still a bit away so there's no rush. I don't think they read applications before the deadline.
    Oxford's first deadline is in 3 days, while LSE, LBS and Cambridge have rolling admission. This means that the more I wait, the less likely I will get into the program.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco994)
    Oxford's first deadline is in 3 days, while LSE, LBS and Cambridge have rolling admission. This means that the more I wait, the less likely I will get into the program.
    Oh wait did they change it? I thought it was in October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Oh wait did they change it? I thought it was in October.
    11 Sept, then 30 Oct, 8 Jan and 18 March

ReputationRep:
    All those programs are pre-experience, but since competition to get in is fierce, an internship could complete my profile showing my commitment and i'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. I also tried to send my profile to LBS (they offer to assess your CV and give you feedback for free) and they clearly told me that I need some kind of relevant financial work experience. I think that's more or less something that should be taken for granted when applying to those kind of programs..
    Well, hanging your hat on finding something just before applying is going to be stressful, and if internships are that important then I would guess that those who have done them through undergrad vacations will have an edge. However, your academics sound very impressive and that may for example be of more interest to Cambridge than a last minute internship, even if LBS views it a bit differently.

(My skepticism about the value of internships comes from having worked in IB and seeing what work gets shifted to the interns (!) ....but yeah I guess some of the adcoms might want to see it)

ReputationRep:
    11 Sept, then 30 Oct, 8 Jan and 18 March
    oh didn't know there's another deadline added

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.