Turn on thread page Beta

Balls Rolling for Uni but cannot cope watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I really need some advice. So everything's in place for uni (accommodation, enrolment etc). However, due to mental health difficulties I do not believe I can cope. It seems like it's coming too soon for me and I'm too early in recovery to be able to manage. I have been suffering from anorexia for the past four years, which has led to several hospitalizations and being sectioned. I have managed to restore my weight, but I don't think my mind has caught up with my body (if that makes sense) and I am still finding it really difficult to cope.
    On top of all this, I do not feel comfortable with the university I ended up choosing and believe I may have made the wrong decision...

I'm wondering whether to take a year out to focus properly on getting better, but I'm unsure as to how to go about this. Do I contact the university and say I'm dropping out for health reasons? What about accommodation?
    Also... I guess it would mean being a "gap year" or something. So I have a couple of questions about this too. Would I have to work? If I feel like I can manage in a years time do I have to reapply through UCAS?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I feel like I'm too far in to retreat now, but I know instinctively that going to uni would be a bad thing for my health at the moment. I haven't even told my parents yet, and I know they're going to be disappointed (they think I'm doing fine now that I'm a healthy weight etc). But I suppose it's my choice and my health at the end of the day.

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by porridgeandrhi)
    Hi

I really need some advice. So everything's in place for uni (accommodation, enrolment etc). However, due to mental health difficulties I do not believe I can cope. It seems like it's coming too soon for me and I'm too early in recovery to be able to manage. I have been suffering from anorexia for the past four years, which has led to several hospitalizations and being sectioned. I have managed to restore my weight, but I don't think my mind has caught up with my body (if that makes sense) and I am still finding it really difficult to cope.
    On top of all this, I do not feel comfortable with the university I ended up choosing and believe I may have made the wrong decision...

I'm wondering whether to take a year out to focus properly on getting better, but I'm unsure as to how to go about this. Do I contact the university and say I'm dropping out for health reasons? What about accommodation?
    Also... I guess it would mean being a "gap year" or something. So I have a couple of questions about this too. Would I have to work? If I feel like I can manage in a years time do I have to reapply through UCAS?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I feel like I'm too far in to retreat now, but I know instinctively that going to uni would be a bad thing for my health at the moment. I haven't even told my parents yet, and I know they're going to be disappointed (they think I'm doing fine now that I'm a healthy weight etc). But I suppose it's my choice and my health at the end of the day.

Thanks
    At the end of the day,your mental health is very important and you should do what you feel is best for you, taking a year out could help massively and a year doesn't make much difference, many people start uni at 19+.
    There would be plenty of support you can access at university but if you need the time to focus on yourself then give your uni a call and ask if you can withdraw your application or you could consider deferring, this would then save your place until september 2016 which gives you more time to decide if that university is for you or not.
    If you withdraw you would have to reapply through ucas again for 2016. As for working, that's something you would have to discuss with your family i suppose and potentially you might want to look into any eligibility you might have for jsa/ potentially ESA in those circumstances.
    If you've any more questions let me know

ReputationRep:
    All universities offer support and advice for students with mental health issues. It might be an idea to contact them in advance of your arrival so you can have a chat and find out what support you may be able to get while you are there. If it feels like the right kind of safety net you need then it is probably the right time for you to start uni. If not, maybe it's best to defer and gather support from other quarters so you will be ready for next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you've been malnourishing your brain? Just fix a regular decent diet whilst you're at uni; cook in bulk batches so you don't miss eating one day and eat lots of fatty nutrients and natural sugars. Don't drink alcohol or energy drinks.

I tend to bulk cook curry with spinach/chicken thigh/potato and fridge 4-5 batches. They last well and are pretty nourishing and cheap. Drink lots of milk also.

However, the issue is less about your body and more about mentality neglect theough negativity and lack of use. Once you're studying your brain should become more engaged as long as you keep up healthy eating.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.