Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in all maths exams in AS last year, and my school recommend that if you get a C you don't take S2 you take D1 instead. I was just wondering whether I would find this easier than S2? I did find S1 hard. Would it limit my A2 grade, does S2 carry more UMS points than D1? I really need to get a good A2 grade as I want to apply to AAB biology course. What is the top grade I could achieve with a C at AS?
    Sorry for all the questions! Thank you

Just noticed the titles wrong! i meant D1 instead of S2
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by IoMc)
    I got a C in all maths exams in AS last year, and my school recommend that if you get a C you don't take S2 you take D1 instead. I was just wondering whether I would find this easier than S2? I did find S1 hard. Would it limit my A2 grade, does S2 carry more UMS points than D1? I really need to get a good A2 grade as I want to apply to AAB biology course. What is the top grade I could achieve with a C at AS?
    Every module gives you up to 100 UMS, and each one is equally weighted in your overall grade.

You'd probably find the content of D1 easier than S1 or S2 - it's just the exam and getting things 100% right that can cause difficulties, but I'd still suggest doing it.

Theoretically you can get an A* (but it's probably impossible to get an A without getting an A*, depending on your UMS overall). I'd suggest resitting C1 and C2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)
    Hi there,

As far as I am aware, S2 is a further maths module. It would probably be worth the same amount of points as D1 or M1, so long as you are doing A Level Maths and not Further Maths. (I don't know how it works for Further Maths.)

I would recommend that you do D1 instead of S2 - D1 is pretty straightforward; I managed to learn the stuff in about half a year and got a B in D1, which was pretty good for me!

Seeing as you got a C in S1, you could resit S1, or if you think it will be easier, you could also do M1 at the same time as doing D1. I know that some of the people in my maths class struggled with S1, so once we had done M1 we also opted to do D1 (this was when January exams were possible).

Hope that helps a little

Edit: Just re-read your post and seeing as though you got Cs in all of your exams, I'd agree with SeanFM that your best bet would be to resit C1 and C2. I'd also recommend either D1 or M1 - D1 being more straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)
    I'd say I agree with your school and the previous posters about taking D1. I've done both S2 and D1, and definitely found D1 easier. It's a completely new kind of maths, so they ease you into it. The only complaint I've heard about D1 was sometimes people run out of time in the exam. There's not many issues with not being able to understand the content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)
    Definitely go for D1...might just be me, but I got 97 in D1 and 60 in S2
    Yeah I screwed up the Stats, but the D1 content is actually really, really straightforward. You just need to focus and pay attention in the exam, because one small mistake can cost you a lot of marks. But if you're looking at which one is easier to get a higher UMS in, then I'd definitely recommend taking D1 instead.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Hi there,

As far as I am aware, S2 is a further maths module. It would probably be worth the same amount of points as D1 or M1, so long as you are doing A Level Maths and not Further Maths. (I don't know how it works for Further Maths.)
    Just to point out, S2 isn't "further maths" - it's perfectly possible to do C1-C4, S1 and S2 for normal maths A level, and it corresponds to a 'traditional' Maths with Stats A level.

However, I would agree with the general advice that the OP should go with D1 rather than S2. (I don't like the Decision modules generally, but they were aimed at weaker maths students and carry exactly the same points as the other modules so it's a bit of a no-brainer!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Just to point out, S2 isn't "further maths" - it's perfectly possible to do C1-C4, S1 and S2 for normal maths A level, and it corresponds to a 'traditional' Maths with Stats A level.

However, I would agree with the general advice that the OP should go with D1 rather than S2. (I don't like the Decision modules generally, but they were aimed at weaker maths students and carry exactly the same points as the other modules so it's a bit of a no-brainer!)
    Okay, thank you for informing me of this, tbh I just assumed that it was further maths as our school didn't even mention S2! However, unless you did very well in S1, I'd say definitely go either D1 or M1.

As I said previously, we did S1 in the first year, then M1 in January of the 2nd year. We then did D1 in June of year 2 because some students didn't do well in S1. Of course, the best 2 grades out of D1, M1 and S1 were taken through.

Strangely, I did better in M1 than D1, though I also did better in M1 than S1.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, couldn't be asked to read the previous comments so sorry if im repeating other people. I done D1 during my A-levels and its **** and pointless. Also, I'm currently doin a zoology degree and stats are really important for it so I'd recommend doin S2. You should retake your first year maths exams, that's what I done and it helped so much. By the end of the 2nd year all the first year stuff should seem really easy so retaking wouldnt be that hard or too much revision anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)

DO. NOT. DO. D1.

It's your choice obviously, but I highly advise you DON'T. I cannot stress that enough and I wouldn't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. I am entirely speaking from my own experience. Of course. But you will risk getting an even worse grade if you take the extremely long shot, hit or miss of an exam D1 truly is.

Is the content straightforward like everyone says? Absolutely, it's arguably the easiest and most abstract of the applied modules.

The EXAM however is a different story, and because of this I would avoid it completely (Unless you absolutely HAVE to do it).
    There ISN'T HUMANLY enough time to finish the paper & get 100UMS. There is only such thing as getting 100UMS in D1 where luck is concerned.

There is no such thing as METHOD MARKS either. There is, but the method marks obtainable are so bare it's no fuss at all. You'll only get full marks for right answers, or at the most 0-1 if you get the question wrong.

The authors of the exams aren't gonna hand over the marks if you do every past paper or textbook question, They'll introduce a new type of question that just barely classifies under the specification. D1 should be NOTORIOUS for the horrible linear programming question from June 2014 that only a very TINY number of people out of the whole country were able to figure out.

For all of the Stats & Mech modules, there EXISTS the resources to do extremely well (Solomon, STEP, etc). For D1 there are no such things.

Thankfully the government are removing D1 which is absolutely fantastic. Maths students should be tested for their mathematical ability and ability to prove. D1 does none of that and is quite frankly an insult to the whole of the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hey111)
    DO. NOT. DO. D1.

It's your choice obviously, but I highly advise you DON'T. I cannot stress that enough and I wouldn't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. I am entirely speaking from my own experience. Of course. But you will risk getting an even worse grade if you take the extremely long shot, hit or miss of an exam D1 truly is.

Is the content straightforward like everyone says? Absolutely, it's arguably the easiest and most abstract of the applied modules.

The EXAM however is a different story, and because of this I would avoid it completely (Unless you absolutely HAVE to do it).
    There ISN'T HUMANLY enough time to finish the paper & get 100UMS. There is only such thing as getting 100UMS in D1 where luck is concerned.

There is no such thing as METHOD MARKS either. There is, but the method marks obtainable are so bare it's no fuss at all. You'll only get full marks for right answers, or at the most 0-1 if you get the question wrong.

The authors of the exams aren't gonna hand over the marks if you do every past paper or textbook question, They'll introduce a new type of question that just barely classifies under the specification. D1 should be NOTORIOUS for the horrible linear programming question from June 2014 that only a very TINY number of people out of the whole country were able to figure out.

For all of the Stats & Mech modules, there EXISTS the resources to do extremely well (Solomon, STEP, etc). For D1 there are no such things.

Thankfully the government are removing D1 which is absolutely fantastic. Maths students should be tested for their mathematical ability and ability to prove. D1 does none of that and is quite frankly an insult to the whole of the syllabus.
    And I thought I was alone in my complete hatred of D1.

(Original post by IoMc)

I supposed preference of maths modules is quite a personal thing, I prefer stats to decision and find it easier. However, considering your grades and the fact you found S1 hard, it probably isn't very wise to continue statistics to it's second module as it will be a step up. The word of warning I will give about D1, although the content may seem more straight forward than statistics, the exam can be very punishing. The questions are often very long winded and are prone to silly mistakes which can easily cost you a lot of marks. Overall, I think you should probably follow your schools recommendation and take D1.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nirvana27)
    And I thought I was alone in my complete hatred of D1.
    Well there's you and me and virtually every Uni Admissions Tutor in the counry

You should read the ALCAB report on the future of Maths teaching that helped to inform the Government's plans to reform A level Maths - I don't think anyone has a nice word to say about the Decision modules

ReputationRep:
    D1 is all logic and easier to learn, so you have more time to work on exam prep and harder modules, I did D1 and found that you just repeat the same pattern for each exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Well there's you and me and virtually every Uni Admissions Tutor in the counry

You should read the ALCAB report on the future of Maths teaching that helped to inform the Government's plans to reform A level Maths - I don't think anyone has a nice word to say about the Decision modules
    Just read it :eek4:, I didn't think they'd go so far to outright call it a soft option in the report. That's pretty harsh.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nirvana27)
    Just read it :eek4:, I didn't think they'd go so far to outright call it a soft option in the report. That's pretty harsh.
    I get the distinct impression it's a 'soft option' for teachers as well as students - it seems there are some very weak teachers out there who don't even want to teach stats or mechanics, which is a pretty scary state of affairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IoMc)

No, s1 is much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Nah D1 is calm, easy content, took like 2 days of revision and I got 87 (I wasn't really focused on it since C34 count for the A*). Basically just listen in lesson and do the homework and it will all come back to you very quickly when you revise. The exam isn't that stressful either, just go slowly and practice past papers under timed conditions.

ReputationRep:
    D1 is a lot better as long as you learn the glossary since that's what caught me out this year. Apparently a path is different to a route XD. All year I was getting 90+ UMS in D1 whilst S1 I was getting consistent D's because of the explanation questions and stupid mistakes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.