Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if I could find out whether admissions officers at UCL (if possible, specifically for physics) will treat applicants who are on a gap year differently and if they will be looking for particular things in their grades/personal statements.
    Any specific wants/preferences would be greatly appreciated, for example I plan on studying further maths and retaking modules to convert my A in maths into an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by provhatr)
    I was wondering if I could find out whether admissions officers at UCL (if possible, specifically for physics) will treat applicants who are on a gap year differently and if they will be looking for particular things in their grades/personal statements.
    Any specific wants/preferences would be greatly appreciated, for example I plan on studying further maths and retaking modules to convert my A in maths into an A*
    Hi I am starting the MSci Theoretical Physics course at UCL this year and was in the same situation as you. I'm not an admissions officer so obviously I don't know the exact answer to your question but I'll tell you about my experience. I had A*AB in Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively, with the entry requirements being AAA/AAB. I also resat 1 Physics module and my whole A2 Further Maths to push my grades up (although UCL gave me an unconditional anyway). Honestly, just write the best personal statement you can, make sure you have a productive gap year, and if your grades already meet their requirements then you're in with a really good chance. I was made my offer in December after applying in October. My personal statement probably wasn't much different to anyone else's either, so I guess they won't treat you much differently, maybe more favourably if you've got the grades. Hope this helps

(Original post by provhatr)
    Same situation as you. I gave them a call and they said if you have met all the requirements for the AAA offer, you'll likely receive an unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snb1234)
    Hi I am starting the MSci Theoretical Physics course at UCL this year and was in the same situation as you. I'm not an admissions officer so obviously I don't know the exact answer to your question but I'll tell you about my experience. I had A*AB in Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively, with the entry requirements being AAA/AAB. I also resat 1 Physics module and my whole A2 Further Maths to push my grades up (although UCL gave me an unconditional anyway). Honestly, just write the best personal statement you can, make sure you have a productive gap year, and if your grades already meet their requirements then you're in with a really good chance. I was made my offer in December after applying in October. My personal statement probably wasn't much different to anyone else's either, so I guess they won't treat you much differently, maybe more favourably if you've got the grades. Hope this helps
    Hi im in the same situation as you were last year and will also be taking further maths AS and A2 in my gap year, do you mind sharing what you did in your gap year to ensure it was productive and anything you did to strengthen your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm761)
    Hi im in the same situation as you were last year and will also be taking further maths AS and A2 in my gap year, do you mind sharing what you did in your gap year to ensure it was productive and anything you did to strengthen your application?
    I actually did an internship at Liverpool uni in their Physics department, however I had to leave due to family reasons, so that wasn't the most productive thing but something I suggest if you have the time. I did start learning to code (C++ and Python), which I mentioned on my application and during my interview on the offer holder day, they seemed to respond well to that. The fact that you're taking the whole further maths in the year will go down well too. Surprisingly, the thing that interested them (my interviewer) the most was my EPQ. During year 13 I did an EPQ on the physics of Star Trek warp drive, and that's basically all we spoke about for the entire interview. So if you already have a physics-related EPQ, definitely mention it in your personal statement, and if not, I really recommend that you do one if you can. Hope this helps!

Can I ask why you chose Theoretical Physics over Physics?
    Wondering which one would be best to choose.

ReputationRep:
    I actually did an internship at Liverpool uni in their Physics department, however I had to leave due to family reasons, so that wasn't the most productive thing but something I suggest if you have the time. I did start learning to code (C++ and Python), which I mentioned on my application and during my interview on the offer holder day, they seemed to respond well to that. The fact that you're taking the whole further maths in the year will go down well too. Surprisingly, the thing that interested them (my interviewer) the most was my EPQ. During year 13 I did an EPQ on the physics of Star Trek warp drive, and that's basically all we spoke about for the entire interview. So if you already have a physics-related EPQ, definitely mention it in your personal statement, and if not, I really recommend that you do one if you can. Hope this helps!
    Hey, I know that it's a bit off topic from this thread but I really wanted to ask you something. As I'm doing IB, I don't know exactly how EPQ works. But can I ask you what you wrote about warp drive for your EPQ?

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.