The Student Room Group

A level use of maths

What is it?^ As some people are doing it and do unis accept it as a proper a level?
Ive heard that its dumbed down maths, but im not sure

(asking for a friend)
it is maths made "relevant"

so mortgage payments, bank accounts etc

:yawn:
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
it is maths made "relevant"

so mortgage payments, bank accounts etc

:yawn:

is it useful?
Original post by judogainz
is it useful?

I'd say yes because it is called 'use of maths':lol:
Reply 4
Original post by quentinhamilton
I'd say yes because it is called 'use of maths':lol:

Seriously?:biggrin:
Reply 5
They are quite similar the difference is that Maths is more rigorous whereas Use of Maths is more applied with the focus on applying the mathematics learnt in A level to real world situations

The modules you will take will depend on your college, a typical Use of Maths structure is as follows:

Year 1: Algebra, Data Analysis(similar to S1), Decision(Similar to D1)
Year 2: Calculus, Mathematical Comprehension(Algebra + Calculus at a higher standard), Mathematical Applications(Coursework, 2 of Decision, Algebra or Calculus)

some colleges will also choose a module called 'Dynamics' which is similar to Mechanics(M1) in A level Maths

So overall they are pretty similar, however, Use of maths is fairly new and some universities do not regard it as a substitute for standard A levels Mathematics, personally neither do I, but it is still a really good qualification if you want to further your mathematical capabilities or you are doing a partially numerate degree subject like: Management Science, Psychology, Biology, Geography, Accounting/Finance, IT and (some) Computing/CS courses

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest