Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking of doing biochemistry at university, and was wondering why quite a few unis don't offer a masters in it and why not, also how much better are masters?? Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Because doing a masters mean you're gonna be studying more about a certain topic within that subject so basically within biochemistry. Biochemistry is a wide wide subject

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've moved this over to the postgraduate applications forum now. Hopefully you'll get more replies here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EilishH)
    Was thinking of doing biochemistry at university, and was wondering why quite a few unis don't offer a masters in it and why not, also how much better are masters?? Thanks
    Are they really that rare? I just googled "biochemistry masters" and on the first page of results I get Biochemistry Masters degrees at Manchester, Birmingham, Kent, Edinburgh, Oxford and Cambridge. That's a pretty good spread to be going on with and there must be many more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Are they really that rare? I just googled "biochemistry masters" and on the first page of results I get Biochemistry Masters degrees at Manchester, Birmingham, Kent, Edinburgh, Oxford and Cambridge. That's a pretty good spread to be going on with and there must be many more.
    Sorry, I was looking more at universities down further south such as bath, southampton etc. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    Hi! I've moved this over to the postgraduate applications forum now. Hopefully you'll get more replies here
    thank you I didn't even realise it wasn't in a certain forum :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Jessica)
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:
    thank you for your advice, I didn't realise it wasn't in a certain place :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hs1var19)
    Because doing a masters mean you're gonna be studying more about a certain topic within that subject so basically within biochemistry. Biochemistry is a wide wide subject
    ah ok thank you, would you say it would be better to do a postgrad masters or undergrad? as some of the universities near me don't offer masters, but offer the same entry requirements as a masters at another uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EilishH)
    I was looking more at universities down further south such as bath southamtpton etc.....

ah ok thank you, would you say it would be better to do a postgrad masters or undergrad? as some of the universities near me don't offer masters, but offer the same entry requirements as a masters at another uni
    Southampton offers a 4 year integrated Biochemistry Masters - essentially 3 years of undergrad + 1 year for the Masters. As it's integrated, you will get Student Finance for all four years:
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/biosci/...chemistry.page

Bath offers an MSc Biosciences, which is intended to be tailored to each student's interests. Given the strength of their Biochemistry department and the available module options, the course could easily be delivered as a Biochemistry course:
    http://www.bath.ac.uk/science/gradua...c-biosciences/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It doesn't matter whether you do a postgard or undergrad masters degree. At the end of either you'll have a masters. It's easier to do an undergrad one coz of the finance though.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.