Turn on thread page Beta

where can I take my printer to be looked at? watch

ReputationRep:
    This printer hasnt been used in 5 years, but when it was bought (5 years ago), it was only used for a few months. Now I'll be taking it to uni.

I've put new ink cartridges in it, cleaned the printer head and printed off nozzle checks. The yellow and black inks are working perfectly, but the cyan and magenta have some segments missing. But as I keep cleaning the printer head, the cyan and magenta are slowly becoming more clearer.

Now, the printer randomly says 'cannot recognise yellow ink cartidge'. It is obviously lying because it has recognised it for the last half hour. I have took it out and put it back in again - doesn't work. I've switched the printer off then on - doesn't work.

So i dont know what to do. Is there anywhere i can take it to to be looked at? Do PC world or Knowhow look at printers that have not been purchased by them?

Sorry for the long post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pharmaholic)
    x
    Almost certainly not worth the hassle/cost. Printer companies make their money from the ink, not the printers. The printers are therefore incredibly cheap to buy with some even given away for free if you sign up to an ink purchase plan.

You can buy a new printer for £30 - £50. A repair is likely to cost more than that in parts/labour cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Almost certainly not worth the hassle/cost. Printer companies make their money from the ink, not the printers. The printers are therefore incredibly cheap to buy with some even given away for free if you sign up to an ink purchase plan.

You can buy a new printer for £30 - £50. A repair is likely to cost more than that in parts/labour cost.
    The printer belonged to my late brother, and so I dont really want to scrap it. Plus, its hardly been used, so i'm not sure if buying a new one would be worth it. Hmmm, I'll give it some more thought. Thanks for the reply mate.

ReputationRep:
    Try putting some nail polish remover on a paper towel (make like a pad) then slide this under the print head and leave for an hour or so, then run the head cleaner program

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.