Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently I've started back to school to start my A2 exams and today my biology teacher said to me that I should think about repeating my AS unit 2 biology paper if I want to get an A overall. I didn't get what I wanted in biology at AS, I got a B when I really wanted an A. I'm 6 ums off an A and I was looking advice on whether or not i should repeat my unit 2.

I got an A in unit 1, a C in unit 2 and an A in my coursework with full marks. I thought I had done well in unit 2 but not as well as I had thought. I'm just wondering should I just work really hard at A2 and bring it up to an A? Or should I repeat the paper, the only thing that worries me about repeating is that it will take time away from my other A2 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Any advice at all even if you have repeated an AS while doing A2 and how you coped would be helpful. Personally I found taking 4 AS subjects last year was too much work and I feel I didn't do as well because of this.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be complacent with a mark that's "a few below" the grade you want. This is something I've learnt. People always seem to have too much faith in themselves to be able to 'pull up the grade' with their A2 marks.

If you can retake, even just for a few more marks, AS exams are very valuable for total UMS considering they're generally easier than A2 exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Don't be complacent with a mark that's "a few below" the grade you want. This is something I've learnt. People always seem to have too much faith in themselves to be able to 'pull up the grade' with their A2 marks.

If you can retake, even just for a few more marks, AS exams are very valuable for total UMS considering they're generally easier than A2 exams.
    Thank you for getting back to me. I know the more I think about it maybe I should repeat because to get an A overall I would need to score 246/300 in my A2 which is high enough especially considering A2 is harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justkirst)
    Thank you for getting back to me. I know the more I think about it maybe I should repeat because to get an A overall I would need to score 246/300 in my A2 which is high enough especially considering A2 is harder.
    Another point to bear in mind is whether consolidating your knowledge of unit2 topics will assist your A2 studies - check with someone who knows, but I think that there is an element of retesting AS knowledge in the Biology A2 exams.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently I've started back to school to start my A2 exams and today my biology teacher said to me that I should think about repeating my AS unit 2 biology paper if I want to get an A overall. I didn't get what I wanted in biology at AS, I got a B when I really wanted an A. I'm 6 ums off an A and I was looking advice on whether or not i should repeat my unit 2.

I got an A in unit 1, a C in unit 2 and an A in my coursework with full marks. I thought I had done well in unit 2 but not as well as I had thought. I'm just wondering should I just work really hard at A2 and bring it up to an A? Or should I repeat the paper, the only thing that worries me about repeating is that it will take time away from my other A2 subjects.
    I say you should retake. But only retake if you're definitely going to spend time revising unit 2 during A2! But unit 2 should be easier to revise when studying A2.
    Good luck with your A levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holmstock)
    Another point to bear in mind is whether consolidating your knowledge of unit2 topics will assist your A2 studies - check with someone who knows, but I think that there is an element of retesting AS knowledge in the Biology A2 exams.
    This is true as my teacher actually told me today some of the stuff asked in AS unit 2 could come up in A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak427)
    I say you should retake. But only retake if you're definitely going to spend time revising unit 2 during A2! But unit 2 should be easier to revise when studying A2.
    Good luck with your A levels!
    I definitely would revise for it I just hope it wouldn't take much time away from my A2 exams. Thanks! Hopefully I will get what I want in the end

ReputationRep:
    I definitely would revise for it I just hope it wouldn't take much time away from my A2 exams. Thanks! Hopefully I will get what I want in the end
    Do lots of papers, and it helps if you find question packs that focuses on a specific topic (like questions just on cellular control) for class tests. Looking at the specification when revising is also helpful. If you do enough papers, you'll sometimes find that they repeat questions/ word them differently. Study hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak427)
    Do lots of papers, and it helps if you find question packs that focuses on a specific topic (like questions just on cellular control) for class tests. Looking at the specification when revising is also helpful. If you do enough papers, you'll sometimes find that they repeat questions/ word them differently. Study hard!

Thanks I'm doing a subject less this year so I should have plenty more time for revision. Fun times.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 7, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.