Turn on thread page Beta

Chemistry or English Literature? Advice needed! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    So I recently started college and at this moment in time I am studying History, Geography, Biology and English Lit/Chemistry. I have to decide between English Lit and Chemistry in the coming weeks. I am not at all certain what I want to do as a degree - I am however, leaning towards law or something like a History degree where afterwards I can study law. In my GCSE's I got an A* in both literature and chemistry so I feel fairly confident I can do well in both.

Lit -
    I have had a couple of lesson in English literature and though some aspects seem interesting, a lot of the content just doesn't appeal to me. It is very poetry heavy and I have always struggled to get to grips with it, it just doesn't click for me. When I ask teachers (including my form tutor, an English teacher) about lit, they tell me how relentlessly difficult and time consuming it is. As well as this, my school is not doing an AS level in Lit (I'm not sure if this is a national A level reform) which puts me off it quite a bit. If I had no AS level in Lit, then surely my university application would be far weaker than many others? Essentially, it makes English lit a two year course - I'm not sure I like this at all. English is a subject where I feel my performance would fluctuate depending on how I feel/the questions I get in the exam. Two years of hard work resting on a few exams is extremely unsettling for me. Plus, there is no option to drop it after AS level.
    However, with that said, my schools English lit grades are very good - 30% A/A* (good for my school at least). Also, I feel that if I do want to go onto do law or something similar, lit would benefit me more than chemistry.

Chemistry -
    I don't feel that I'm a natural at chemistry, or any science for that matter - but I feel I'm certainly competent. I'm worried about taking chemistry as I've heard that it is an extremely difficult A level where it is difficult to get your head around certain things. Aswell as this, the percentage of A/A* is a lot lower, at about 15%-20%. What appeals to me most about it is, alongside biology, it allows me to go on to do a science based degree if I do change my mind down the line. I think it is also a subject where you can just learn the content and in an exam, you are less likely to be blown off your feet by a strange question. In English lit, I feel this can happen - you could get a mental block and screw up a question and then it is game over. Whereas with chemistry, if you learn the content inside out there are only wrong and right answers - your answers are not open to interpretation. I also get an AS level in chemistry, which should help with my uni application, I believe?

I would truly appreciate it if people who have studied these subjects, or know anything about the matter, could lend me their advice. This is a hard decision for me, and I don't want to make the wrong one.

ReputationRep:
    From what you've said I would recommend English lit. But of course you must choose for yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps take both and drop one after a few lessons?
    But I might be biased cause I study English :/ but you do sound more suited to me
    Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.