Turn on thread page Beta

Got a C in psycholgoy can I get it up to an A? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to go from a C in as psychology to an A at a2?

ReputationRep:
    I got an E in AS physics and brought it up to a B overall so yeh youve got a good chance, just revise a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty-meaw)
    Assuming Psychology follows the UMS% rule, it could be done

For a C, your percentage must be in the 60-70% range, so to bring this up to an A (80% overall), you'd need to average between 90% and 100% UMS on your A2 modules (depending on the AS%)...

Not easy. May be worth doing some retakes, or that's a lot of pressure to score very highly on the harder A2 exams...
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by saeed97)
    I got an E in AS physics and brought it up to a B overall so yeh youve got a good chance, just revise a lot.
    with or w/o resits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    with or w/o resits?
    With resits lol, i had to do all 4 exams (both as&a2) in the same year because im such a disappointment
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    With resits lol, i had to do all 4 exams (both as&a2) in the same year because im such a disappointment
    It's more admirable that you got the grade under all that pressure, well done! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    It's more admirable that you got the grade under all that pressure, well done! :yep:
    Thank you i really appreciate it , im just quite disappointed that i was 4 ums points away from an A. so i sent it for remarking and now im just waiting to be told whether its gone up or stayed a B.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how low/high your C was. Have you considered resitting possibly one unit? I got a B in AS and I'm going to resit unit one to hopefully put that up to an A. If you don't fancy resits I think it is doable but it would require a lot of hard work and intense revision

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Psychology student but I think if you really put your mind to something you stand a good chance.
    I did Bio at AS and had a D and found out our teacher didn't teach us the whole course (i had 100% attendance so missed lessons didn't not contribute). I asked my teacher on my Year 13 parents evening if it was possible to go from a D to a B and he was really horrible about it. He quoted some stat saying that "0.02% of students improve by 2 grades at A2". I told him to get lost and that I was going to be one of the 0.02%. Apparently that stat is rubbish.
    What I'm trying to say is, if you really want to get that grade and you aren't afraid to seek the right support you'll do it! And even if you don't get the A, getting a B at A2 is such a big achievement from a C at AS that your uni may take you anyway! That's what happened to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Assuming Psychology follows the UMS% rule, it could be done

For a C, your percentage must be in the 60-70% range, so to bring this up to an A (80% overall), you'd need to average between 90% and 100% UMS on your A2 modules (depending on the AS%)...

Not easy. May be worth doing some retakes, or that's a lot of pressure to score very highly on the harder A2 exams...
    Yh, i got 60 on one of the units and 68 on the other one, so i'm going to retake the one i got 60 in

ReputationRep:
    Low C or a high C? Are you retaking anything?

ReputationRep:
    wow, well done! and yes i definitely will this year

ReputationRep:
    yes, I had a C in Economics AS and got an A overall. It's deffo possible but it requires hard work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyPlatypus)
    It depends on how low/high your C was. Have you considered resitting possibly one unit? I got a B in AS and I'm going to resit unit one to hopefully put that up to an A. If you don't fancy resits I think it is doable but it would require a lot of hard work and intense revision
    Yes, i'm going to resit my lowest unit, not sure how far of i was of a B though, cause i got 60 and 68 on the other one x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xlxl23)
    yes, I had a C in Economics AS and got an A overall. It's deffo possible but it requires hard work
    Hope is restored! Well done though Did you resit any modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lachachacha)
    Low C or a high C? Are you retaking anything?
    I think a low C on one paper and high C on the other one, not too sure though, will have to ask casue i got 60 and 68 on the other one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau0711)
    I'm not a Psychology student but I think if you really put your mind to something you stand a good chance.
    I did Bio at AS and had a D and found out our teacher didn't teach us the whole course (i had 100% attendance so missed lessons didn't not contribute). I asked my teacher on my Year 13 parents evening if it was possible to go from a D to a B and he was really horrible about it. He quoted some stat saying that "0.02% of students improve by 2 grades at A2". I told him to get lost and that I was going to be one of the 0.02%. Apparently that stat is rubbish.
    What I'm trying to say is, if you really want to get that grade and you aren't afraid to seek the right support you'll do it! And even if you don't get the A, getting a B at A2 is such a big achievement from a C at AS that your uni may take you anyway! That's what happened to me.
    wow, thank you so much and yes that's true, i hate when teachers put you down like that when they are there to teach and encourage and motivate you!

ReputationRep:
    Yh, i got 60 on one of the units and 68 on the other one, so i'm going to retake the one i got 60 in
    So you have 128 UMS and you need 320 from the four modules for an A

If you are keeping the 68 then you need 320 - 68 = 252 ums which means you need to average 84 on the three. .

ReputationRep:
    I went from an E in AS Biology to a B in A2 overall.
    I did one resit (there were three AS exams and I resat the exam with the largest percentage of the AS Grade)
    I chose to sit in AS leasons for the unit I was resitting.

ReputationRep:
    Hope is restored! Well done though Did you resit any modules?

I re-sat unit 1. Thanks, wish you all the best!

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.