Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What a levels are best for law or Psychology? I'm thinking about doing History A level, Sociology or Psychology A level, English Lit A level and maybe Chemistry A level. I heard that Chemistry A level is difficult and I enjoyed it at GCSE. Do you think I would need a science for psychology? Also, I know that that Sociology and Psychology are not a good option to take together because many have said theories can get mixed up. So what would you pick? I took Sociology at GCSE and I ended up getting a C which isn't much to be honest. But, I would say I enjoyed Sociology and I did do good in the mocks. As for psychology, I'm terrible at maths. Does Psychology include a lot of maths? Would you pick Chemistry or Psychology A level to go into Psychology. I know that some of you could be confused, but Psychology and Law are my two ideal options. I have not chose my ideal career yet, but I want to choose the right A levels.

ReputationRep:
    For law it would be logical to also choose the law a level.
    Why do you say you shouldn't take psychology and sociology together? I take both together at A2 this year and I feel like they compliment each other!! I'm also terrible at maths and I got a B in AS psychology (resitting an exam next year) The maths isn't too difficult, to be honest your teachers do a lot of the work with the chi-squared and spearman's rank stuff (well at least they did at my school) Most universities will accept just psychology as a "Science" but nearly all of them say it would be preferred if you do a science as well! I don't, but I am still applying
    As for chemistry I cannot say but I've heard it's really hard.

ReputationRep:
    i did mostly the same as you! i did sociology, history, eng lit and psychology
    sociology and psychology go well together! and psychology doesnt really included much maths (but i only did AS)
    check with unis what they require now - just have a look at some websites to see if most need a science or not (though i would imagine they dont, but it may be helpful)
    also if youre doing law it is wise to avoid law alevel (sounds stupid but i believe its because alevel teaches you things different to uni and teaches you 'bad habits' so you end up having to relearn things differently)

ReputationRep:
    It's because I heard that you can get the theories mixed up in Psychology and Sociology. Apparently, both A levels require a lot of content! Also, I did my research and unis prefer me not to have Law A level. Do you think that English lit, History, Sociology & Psychology would allow me to go into Psychology if I changed my mind about Law? All 4 A levels would be extremely challenging and I would have to get A's in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _aisharx)
    It's because I heard that you can get the theories mixed up in Psychology and Sociology. Apparently, both A levels require a lot of content! Also, I did my research and unis prefer me not to have Law A level. Do you think that English lit, History, Sociology & Psychology would allow me to go into Psychology if I changed my mind about Law? All 4 A levels would be extremely challenging and I would have to get A's in them.
    I understand about the mixed theories thing but if you time your revision right and keep cards for every theory and study you learn it is doable definitely! There is a lot of content in both as they both teach research methods but the research methods content is pretty similar for both so I wouldn't worry too much about that those a levels will allow you into uni for psychology! I myself do sociology, psychology and politics (dropped philosophy) and I'm applying
    They are challenging and it would take a lot of hard work for AAAA but I'm sure you could do it with the right mind set

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Those four A Levels sound pretty good to me, especially for someone who's studying English Lit, History and Sociology at A2 at the moment.

Psychology courses at Uni don't require any sciences or maths for you to get in do they? I've never heard of that at the very least and would be surprised to hear if that was the case. If you're that worried, look at what some "respectable" Universities are asking for for those applying for Psychology and go from there.

Also, although theories for Sociology and Psychology probably are easier to mix up than normal, theories that you learn in Psychology that fit in with your Sociology course are still valid and can be good in exams for backing up a point you've already made. You just need to make sure you'd be looking at the theory from a sociological point of view rather than a psychological one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Restar)
    Those four A Levels sound pretty good to me, especially for someone who's studying English Lit, History and Sociology at A2 at the moment.

Psychology courses at Uni don't require any sciences or maths for you to get in do they? I've never heard of that at the very least and would be surprised to hear if that was the case. If you're that worried, look at what some "respectable" Universities are asking for for those applying for Psychology and go from there.

Also, although theories for Sociology and Psychology probably are easier to mix up than normal, theories that you learn in Psychology that fit in with your Sociology course are still valid and can be good in exams for backing up a point you've already made. You just need to make sure you'd be looking at the theory from a sociological point of view rather than a psychological one.
    (Original post by EmilyPlatypus)
    I understand about the mixed theories thing but if you time your revision right and keep cards for every theory and study you learn it is doable definitely! There is a lot of content in both as they both teach research methods but the research methods content is pretty similar for both so I wouldn't worry too much about that those a levels will allow you into uni for psychology! I myself do sociology, psychology and politics (dropped philosophy) and I'm applying
    They are challenging and it would take a lot of hard work for AAAA but I'm sure you could do it with the right mind set

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your advice! I have decided that I will take on a challenge and aim to get good grades in Psychology A level, Sociology, English lit & History.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What a levels are best for law or Psychology? I'm thinking about doing History A level, Sociology or Psychology A level, English Lit A level and maybe Chemistry A level. I heard that Chemistry A level is difficult and I enjoyed it at GCSE. Do you think I would need a science for psychology? Also, I know that that Sociology and Psychology are not a good option to take together because many have said theories can get mixed up. So what would you pick? I took Sociology at GCSE and I ended up getting a C which isn't much to be honest. But, I would say I enjoyed Sociology and I did do good in the mocks. As for psychology, I'm terrible at maths. Does Psychology include a lot of maths? Would you pick Chemistry or Psychology A level to go into Psychology. I know that some of you could be confused, but Psychology and Law are my two ideal options. I have not chose my ideal career yet, but I want to choose the right A levels.
    I was looking at exactly the same Uni courses last year i've picked law now. My friends mum is a Law lecturer and admissions person and actually says not to take Law A level because they dont teach the Law correctly (she complains so much about it) . if you take a science at A level its so different to the GCSE and i took chem and bio A level and both we started being told to forget a lot of the GCSE because its so simple its wrong. If you are looking at Law and psychology, they are both really competitive courses, so pick the subjects you will get the highest grades in. Also, often for Psychology Degrees they want 2 of sciences or maths or psychology. Its predicted that for A level you will get whatever you got for GCSE minus one grade. so your school will probably predict your C to become a D. Chemistry is difficult at A level. I loved it but it was my lowest grade. Im resitting year 12 and Chem is one of the reasons :/ I got a B at GCSE and a E at A level. Psychology doesn't contain a lot of Maths. There is some stats work but really not much at all. there is maths in Chem too but again not too much but more than in Psyc. You need to look up some of the courses that you want to do and look at the requirements. for this year for Psy you would need to take Chem and Psy for a lot of courses but not all i think, but look it up and dont quote me on it. Law will accept anything. Just make sure you have one essay subject so you know how to write a good essay for it History is mine And IT. Look up some of the courses you are thinking of doing with the grades you think you might get and you'll get a better idea of what to do. also, ask your 6th form or collage they should also have some good idea of how to get in to any course Sorry this is so word-y, Hope this helps Just let me know if you want any more information x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samonia)
    I was looking at exactly the same Uni courses last year i've picked law now. My friends mum is a Law lecturer and admissions person and actually says not to take Law A level because they dont teach the Law correctly (she complains so much about it) . if you take a science at A level its so different to the GCSE and i took chem and bio A level and both we started being told to forget a lot of the GCSE because its so simple its wrong. If you are looking at Law and psychology, they are both really competitive courses, so pick the subjects you will get the highest grades in. Also, often for Psychology Degrees they want 2 of sciences or maths or psychology. Its predicted that for A level you will get whatever you got for GCSE minus one grade. so your school will probably predict your C to become a D. Chemistry is difficult at A level. I loved it but it was my lowest grade. Im resitting year 12 and Chem is one of the reasons :/ I got a B at GCSE and a E at A level. Psychology doesn't contain a lot of Maths. There is some stats work but really not much at all. there is maths in Chem too but again not too much but more than in Psyc. You need to look up some of the courses that you want to do and look at the requirements. for this year for Psy you would need to take Chem and Psy for a lot of courses but not all i think, but look it up and dont quote me on it. Law will accept anything. Just make sure you have one essay subject so you know how to write a good essay for it History is mine And IT. Look up some of the courses you are thinking of doing with the grades you think you might get and you'll get a better idea of what to do. also, ask your 6th form or collage they should also have some good idea of how to get in to any course Sorry this is so word-y, Hope this helps Just let me know if you want any more information x
    Thank you for all your information! Do you think one Psychology A level would be enough for a Psychology degree? Or should I research Unis and the entry requirements? By the way, I'm terrible at Maths, so I don't think I would pick Maths A level. I don't think that I should pick Chemistry A level.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your information! Do you think one Psychology A level would be enough for a Psychology degree? Or should I research Unis and the entry requirements? By the way, I'm terrible at Maths, so I don't think I would pick Maths A level. I don't think that I should pick Chemistry A level.
    Psychology is enough, well for the universities I'm looking at, some do require at least a C in maths GCSE (some say B and some even say A but they're the higher up universities)

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.