Turn on thread page Beta

Precalculus question. if f(x) = 3x + 7, find [ f (a + h) - f (a) ] / h? watch

ReputationRep:
    Precalculus question. if f(x) = 3x + 7, find [ f (a + h) - f (a) ] / h?
    what brings a and h into all of this?? v confused as i havent done this stuff in a while.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by finewhateverx)
    what brings a and h into all of this?? v confused as i havent done this stuff in a while.
    This is "differentiation from first principles" which is not simple so I doubt anyone is going to give you a full explanation here.

I recommend you look in a textbook or search Google for an explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    This is "differentiation from first principles" which is not simple so I doubt anyone is going to give you a full explanation here.

Challenge accepted! :P

ReputationRep:
    To find f(a + h) you substitute (a + h) for x into f(x).

ReputationRep:

thank you i'll look that up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    To find f(a + h) you substitute (a + h) for x into f(x).
    sorry but could you explain why?

ReputationRep:

never mind, they haven't even learnt f(x) notation, you were right

ReputationRep:
    sorry but could you explain why?
    Have you met function notation?

For example if f(x) = 5x + 3 then f(2) = (5 x 2) + 3 = 13

ReputationRep:

or, more clearly:

f(x) = 2x^2 + 4x + 7\

\

f(3) = 2(3)^2+4(3) + 7 = 37\

f(5) = 2(5)^2+4(5) + 7 = 77\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum Scott)
    or, more clearly:

f(x) = 2x^2 + 4x + 7\

\

f(3) = 2(3)^2+4(3) + 7 = 37\

f(5) = 2(5)^2+4(5) + 7 = 77\
    That's NOT clearer - the function the OP is dealing with is linear - you've just over-complicated it!

ReputationRep:
    That's NOT clearer - the function the OP is dealing with is linear - you've just over-complicated it!
    the function is more complicated, but the idea it conveys is much clearer with more terms, and the LaTex format.

ReputationRep:

yes i am aware of that but
    how can i conclude from the question that i have to substitute (a+h) for x?
    if f(x) = 3x + 7, find [ f (a + h) - f (a) ] / h?
    i don't see what brings a and h into all this. sorry it's probably really simple but its been a while and i just can't make anything of it
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    If the OP can't deal with quadratic functions then I doubt they'll be able to handle differentiation from first principles

ReputationRep:
    If the OP can't deal with quadratic functions then I doubt they'll be able to handle differentiation from first principles
    guys id appreciate it if youd stop being so condescending and help out, or else please leave. for background im done with alevels and in my second yr of med school havent done maths for two years, had to do an Aelective precalculus course, came across this question which for some reason or other i cant seem to be able to make head or tail of. if you can clarify things then please do so and if you cant then honestly whats the point of hanging around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum Scott)
    the function is more complicated, but the idea it conveys is much clearer with more terms, and the LaTex format.
    Don't overcomplicate a simple idea.

ReputationRep:
    guys id appreciate it if youd stop being so condescending and help out, or else please leave. for background im done with alevels and in my second yr of med school havent done maths for two years, had to do an Aelective precalculus course, came across this question which for some reason or other i cant seem to be able to make head or tail of. if you can clarify things then please do so and if you cant then honestly whats the point of hanging around?
    I am trying to help - I can't help idiots showing off.

When you have anything in function notation then that means replace x by whatever is in the bracket - that how function notation is defined.

ReputationRep:
    That was being condescending to the person he was replying to :awesome:, not you lol :P
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I can see how my comment seemed like it was directed at you but it wasn't. I was making a point to Muttley79.

I'd be the last person to put someone down based on their mathematical knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    yes i am aware of that but
    how can i conclude from the question that i have to substitute (a+h) for x?
    if f(x) = 3x + 7, find [ f (a + h) - f (a) ] / h?
    i don't see what brings a and h into all this. sorry it's probably really simple but its been a while and i just can't make anything of it
    Just substitute a for x if it's confusing you, h just represents the difference between the two x values.

If you have two points:  (x, f(x)) & (x+h, f(x+h)) then the gradient of the line that joins them is given by:
    \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{(x+h) - x} \equiv \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}

ReputationRep:
    idiots showing off.
    I put something in LaTex form, with more terms so it became easier to understand!! keep your socks on!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 9, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.