Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'll be commenting to Warwick, and i'm also planning to work part-time too, i'm worried that i won't have much of a social life there. I'm planning on joining multiply societies, and possibly trying to get into a few sports team. However, i won't be at Warwick Uni much, as i'll be committing back to Birmingham and potentially working on the side too. Does anyone have any advice on how to make the most of my social life in this particular situation, or if anyone else has been in a similar situation, how did they cope?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    In general it will probably be fairly difficult to have regular social contact with the same groups from that distance since most social activities happen in the evening (on weekdays) and most of them involve getting drunk (that of course depends on your friendship circle, but if you're thinking about societies then that's the way it is 95% of the time). There are some groups that you could join and not miss out on; Warwick mountains springs to mind, since their trips take place on weekends and they're quite laid back and not cliquey (you don't need to attend every social or trip to feel like you fit in, there are some newcomers on every trip). I know a couple of the other sports societies have practices on weekends as well, but that will depend on your interests and the practice schedules of those sports clubs.

I'd advise keeping in good contact with your social connections in Birmingham, because it will be difficult to feel like an integral part of any campus-based social group. Making good friends with campus-based people (or people who live near campus at least) and investing in a sleeping bag would give you some more flexibility. To be honest, I don't think many people commute from Birmingham so I think you might have to find your own way a bit (though if I remember there is a society specifically for people who commute to uni to start forming social circles, so they may be some help when you arrive).

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.