Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just bought a smaller/lighter/better laptop for uni... but my current laptop still works pretty well and I'd like to keep it for the future.

If I drain the battery and leave it unused for (e.g.) 8 months will it still function normally when I next turn it back on?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam132)
    I've just bought a smaller/lighter/better laptop for uni... but my current laptop still works pretty well and I'd like to keep it for the future.

If I drain the battery and leave it unused for (e.g.) 8 months will it still function normally when I next turn it back on?

Thanks
    Maybe or maybe not.........it will certainly cause damage to the battery cells. I would suggest if someone at home could potentially use or turn it on every few weeks or so and check the battery to charge, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Maybe or maybe not.........it will certainly cause damage to the battery cells. I would suggest if someone at home could potentially use or turn it on every few weeks or so and check the battery to charge, etc
    Ah okay, d'you mean have them charge it fully every now and again and use it a bit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Just take the battery out of the laptop after you drained it and put aside, I wouldn't see any major problems occurring from this. I've got a netbook lying around somewhere which I haven't turned on for nearly two years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Store it in a cool and dry place at 40% charge and it will be fine.

Do NOT drain the battery for storage. Stored batteries will lose energy over time but at a slower rate and if your battery discharges below a certain level it will destroy it. The 0% battery level is not actually zero energy in the battery, you may think that the battery is drained completely but it actually isn't. This system is in place so it doesn't destroy the battery.

40% charge level is the best way to store it. The laptops sold in shops are charged to about 40% and then packaged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)

Do NOT drain the battery for storage. Stored batteries will lose energy over time but at a slower rate and if your battery discharges below a certain level it will destroy it. The 0% battery level is not actually zero energy in the battery, you may think that the battery is drained completely but it actually isn't. This system is in place so it doesn't destroy the battery.

40% charge level is the best way to store it. The laptops sold in shops are charged to about 40% and then packaged.
    So 40% and take the battery out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So 40% and take the battery out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep

ReputationRep:
    Why not 100%? (just out of interest) - surely less chance of the battery completely draining??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    Why not 100%? (just out of interest) - surely less chance of the battery completely draining??
    adam132 - this post might should be helpful to you too.

Heat and high charge voltage put stress on the battery. When a bettery is exposed to heat it puts stress on the battery and dwelling in a full state-of-charge (high voltage) also puts stress on the battery. Hence a full charge deteriorates battery faster than a battery at 40% due to higher peak charge voltage.

This is a good table for OP:

So lets say you have a brand new battery which has 100% battery capacity. If you charged it to 40% and you left it at 25 C for a full year, you would still have an estimated 96% capacity left after a year compared to only 80% if fully charged and left for a year. (refer to table)

ReputationRep:
    adam132 - this post might should be helpful to you too.

Heat and high charge voltage put stress on the battery. When a bettery is exposed to heat it puts stress on the battery and dwelling in a full state-of-charge (high voltage) also puts stress on the battery. Hence a full charge deteriorates battery faster than a battery at 40% due to higher peak charge voltage.

This is a good table for OP:

So lets say you have a brand new battery which has 100% battery capacity. If you charged it to 40% and you left it at 25 C for a full year, you would still have an estimated 96% capacity left after a year compared to only 80% if fully charged and left for a year. (refer to table)
    This is great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    would recommend to leave at least 50% of the battery before turn it off and leave it for months

occasionally turn it back on for a few hours and recharge would work well for the battery

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.