The Student Room Group

History revision help!

hi guys...basically I have mocks coming in November-decmber time on every subject including history.I find it easy in classes but coming towards practice mocks I have NO idea on how to revise and where to start!im studying edexcel:
changing nature of conflict[warfare]
life in Germany 1919-1945
impact of war on Britain 1914-1950
representations of history America 1914-1941

please help...how to do timelines,revision cards etc.thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by skhan99
hi guys...basically I have mocks coming in November-decmber time on every subject including history.I find it easy in classes but coming towards practice mocks I have NO idea on how to revise and where to start!im studying edexcel:

Hi :smile: first of all don't panic, that's the worst thing to do, so keep calm while revising.
I did GCSE history and did well, i did Germany 1919-1945 as a topic, but i will try to help give you tips in general so you can apply them to all your topics.

Make timelines! Trust me they are so helpful when it comes to linking dates to facts! Pin the timeline around your room, where you can see it everyday, and just memorise it. That's the simplest way to do well, is memorise!

Flashcards can be very helpful as well, if you can get friends to test you, both of you can learn at the same time this way. They are also i great last minute revision tool to run through before the exam :smile:

Mind maps are also incredibly helpful, it can help you learn exam techniques and you can use it to summarise topics once you have revised them a bit.

the basic of history is memorising the facts and dates to use in your answers. And repeating them over to yourself, quizzing yourself or just putting reminders of them around you is the best way to learn what you need :smile:

Good luck!! Don't panic you will do great i'm sure :smile:
hey as the other guy don't worry! I did history for GCSE and also did quite well. One of the things that really helped for me was revision cards, I would take each section and split them into smaller, more specific sections. So for Germany I would do one or two cards for each year with comical pictures and easy abbreviations to remember key events. Another thing that helps is to do separate revision cards for all the dates so that just before your exam you can quickly scan them to refresh your memory. I don't know how well the whole last minute thing works for you but it really helped me.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by skhan99

Hi, do not worry at all. i didn't think i'd do great in history, but i ended up with an A.

Personally, i suggest you do not miss any lessons in any subjects (mainly History) because you have to be good with dates. But you also have to be good with your structure!!!

Make sure you cover content first and do not be lazy by not practicing past questions.

For example, if you were asked about a source question such as "What is the message of this source?" you'd say 1) the message.. (is it critical of anyone? or is it praising anyone? etc.) 2) give two or three examples on why it's critical or praising 3) "FROM MY OWN KNOWLEDGE by looking at the DATE of the source i know that this cartoon or newspaper was published in 19.. to either INFLUENCE or INFORM!!!!
Original post by megannie
Hi :smile: first of all don't panic, that's the worst thing to do, so keep calm while revising.
I did GCSE history and did well, i did Germany 1919-1945 as a topic, but i will try to help give you tips in general so you can apply them to all your topics.

Make timelines! Trust me they are so helpful when it comes to linking dates to facts! Pin the timeline around your room, where you can see it everyday, and just memorise it. That's the simplest way to do well, is memorise!

Flashcards can be very helpful as well, if you can get friends to test you, both of you can learn at the same time this way. They are also i great last minute revision tool to run through before the exam :smile:

Mind maps are also incredibly helpful, it can help you learn exam techniques and you can use it to summarise topics once you have revised them a bit.

the basic of history is memorising the facts and dates to use in your answers. And repeating them over to yourself, quizzing yourself or just putting reminders of them around you is the best way to learn what you need :smile:

Good luck!! Don't panic you will do great i'm sure :smile:

thanks I will take ur advice in to account!:smile:
thanks for the advice guys!i think I know which way to go now xxx
Reply 6
Well, it is not about revision cards, etc- you should revise those topics in a chronological order to gain an understanding of what you are studying- it is through understanding what you read that you will be able to pass your mocks. You could start by first studying the impact of war in Britain, 1914-50 and then follow that up with life in Germany 1919-45 and then representations of history in America 1914-1941. Remember not to cram too much and don't attempt to focus too much on remembering dates either. You might also wish to practice using old question papers

Quick Reply

Latest