The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No problem! To be honest, I would say that they were not hugely different, but I heard good things about Johnson.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I forgot for how many weeks you can move into accomodation, but in any case, from when on can you move in? the first week of term?
And until when? (for example, a week after the second term has ended)
Reply 3
As far as i know everyone moves in on the Saturday before freshers week. can't remember when we all have to move out though, they did mention it.

is there a better social scene up at Hillhead? it would be closer to the zoology building for me but then if i'm going catered the HUB is closer to Johnston...
Okay thanks...wish I could've gone to one of the open days.
Crombie is generally seen as the nicest (I assume you're going catered as otherwise it's just hillhead) as for hillhead-North Court and South House are best but they're both self-catered I believe. Personally if I went catered I'd head to crombie
Reply 6
I am catered in hillhead and loving it. Incidentally, it aint what I applied for, but glad I ended up with it. Coming back next year maybe.
Reply 7
do a lot of people spend their first 2 years in uni accomodation then move into private?

pixie dust - what makes crombie the best? dunno, think it'd be ok not to live in the best accomodation if it meant there was a better social scene and i could meet more people. and yeah, was gonna go for catered
Socially hillhead may be the best (btw I live in private halls so this is all from visiting friends and their opinions) I spent one night in Johnston on a uni trip and didn't like it it was just really dark and gloomy and didn't feel very safe as you can get into any floor so only bedrooms were locked, also I have a friend there who shares 1 shower with 24 people cause the floor below's shower broke. Crombie seems much nicer-there are also en suite rooms there and it just seems less dark and depressing.

I've only been in south house at hillhead so can't help much there except Hillhead is party central which is good in some ways but really bad in others ie when you're trying to study/sleep. Living in crombie you'd be close enough to hillhead to pop up to party (15 min walk) and are literally 30seconds away from Uni, so you can have the best of both worlds for partying studying and sleeping!
Reply 9
Yeah crombie is the one i saw and it didnt look too bad. are the uni halls generally quite safe or are they all as bad as you made out?

yeah i guess having parties non stop must be a drag...lol do they stop around exam time? the partying and sleeping sound good! studying...lol
Reply 10
SmilerNuts
Yeah crombie is the one i saw and it didnt look too bad. are the uni halls generally quite safe or are they all as bad as you made out?

yeah i guess having parties non stop must be a drag...lol do they stop around exam time? the partying and sleeping sound good! studying...lol

Why wouldn't they be safe?
Reply 11
well pixie dust just said it wasnt that safe, no security and such like. i'm just looking for info
Aberdeen is generally a very safe city.
I think they might have security people but it's just that you don't need a key to get into the building! eg going to visit a friend there last week i just walked into the building, along the corridors, up the stairs to her bedroom without needing a key or having to ring a bell once! Whereas, in my opinion, you ought to need a key to get into the building, another to get into the flat/floor and another for the bedroom. Meaning that (as somebody who lived in Johnston pointed out to me) anybody could come in and sleep into their hallway/use their bathroom and-if the bedrrom door isnt locked ie when they're in it-get into their room too etc-to me thats just not good enough.
Reply 14
Yeah i know the city in general is far safer than some places, thats not an issue for me.

Pixie dust - have you ever heard of anything like that actually happening or is that just a possibility? now you've given me a lot to think about! is the security up at Hillhead much better?
Hillhead's pretty safe. I'm in Fyfe atm, it's a blast, really. The social side amazing. Having been here now, I think I'd rather be here then C/J.
Just a possibility as far as i know, people play pranks on (people returning to their rooms to find everything turned upside down even photos on the wall lol or their bed perfectly made up...in the corridor-quite fuinny actually though somewhat annoying i'd imgine) umm as far as i remember I've always had to buzz people to get into hillhead
Reply 17
alibertine
Hillhead's pretty safe. I'm in Fyfe atm, it's a blast, really. The social side amazing. Having been here now, I think I'd rather be here then C/J.

Woohoo! I'm in A/S.
Reply 18
you get a lot of pranks at uni? i dont mind that, as long as its not total randoms breaking in and stealing everything

alibertine - you wouldnt reccomend C/J then?
Reply 19
oh i have another question (yay lol). in catered accomodation, if you get fed monday - saturday and brunch on sunday - what do you eat for the rest of sunday?

Latest

Trending

Trending