The Student Room Group

I need tips to beat procrastination ASAP.

I'm in Year 11, and I suffer from chronic procrastination. I'm predicted to achieve A*s but I can't help but procrastinate when I need to study, and then it gets me into a major panic closer to the deadlines. Yet, somehow, I forget that panic and procrastinate some more and I honestly don't know what to do.

Please can somehow come up with some tips or mantras or whatever to help me work and stay focused? Thanks :colondollar:
I was in exactly the same situation! I'm a REAL perfectionist which actually means I'm prone to procrastinate loads because I never want to work until I'm totally focused on it and can do it perfectly (which never happens...)

I have 3 tips that helped me:
1) Make your study space somewhere you REALLY WANT TO STUDY! I never studied previously because I hated my work space, it was so boring and empty! But I dressed it up! I cleaned my dressing table to use it as a desk, I printed off some motivational quotes and stuck them on my wall, bought a tiny cactus, bought a candle and now I have a space that I LOVE being in! It makes me want to study because I'm in such a happy mood around my desk.

2) If you can't focus at home, go to a library or a coffee shop. It's easier for me to focus when I'm in a situation in which other people are around me but fairly quiet, I'm happy and comfortable.

3) This one was the one that really, really got me started. You know the website tumblr? There are different 'communities' on Tumblr, where tumblrs with specific themes follow each other and stuff. And there's a community called studyblr! I started a studyblr and on it I follow other studyblrs who reblog pictures of work, desks, study tips etc and it got me so motivated! Start your own, it's so worth it! Mine is here: trabajadora.tumblr.com

Just remember: you are a person who can do ANYTHING that they wish. As a human, you have the ability to fullfil any dream that you have, but the ONLY way you can do that is by getting your ass in gear and working and focusing!

Furthermore, if you put the work in now, I CANNOT express how happy you will be on results day. I put the work in, and I came out with 9A*s and 2As, one of the highest results sets my school has seen in its history. While everyone around me was crying because they didn't do as well as they wanted to because they didn't work as hard as they should have, I was in the corner crying because I was so overwhelmed and surprised and ecstatic with how well I had done.

I'll finish with my favourite studyspo quote: "The secret to getting ahead is getting started"
Reply 2
Also if it helps then you could create a list on what you need to do. Start with the smaller things to do then get to the bigger tasks. Do a small task then a big task and then a small task again. It might be easier. Don't spend too much time on the list either.
Original post by McMartinski_
I'm in Year 11, and I suffer from chronic procrastination. I'm predicted to achieve A*s but I can't help but procrastinate when I need to study, and then it gets me into a major panic closer to the deadlines. Yet, somehow, I forget that panic and procrastinate some more and I honestly don't know what to do.

Please can somehow come up with some tips or mantras or whatever to help me work and stay focused? Thanks :colondollar:

What do you procrastinate with/on? Take whatever it is out of your life for a while when revising.. so it could be your phone for example, you could get a parent/sibling to take it off you for a bit while you revise then return it to you again in breaks and repeat the process. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest