The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Paedophilla always wrong? Should it be legalised?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrawbAri
By that logic logophilia can also mean sexual activity with words

I invite you to do your best with that one - but given that words are intangible I don't expect you'll have much fun that way.

You can try to twist these concepts as much as you like, but the common understanding of them is clear enough.
Original post by Lemon Haze
Not that I agree with paedophilia at all, however, if being homosexual is no longer considered a mental illness then why is paedophilia?

Because (adult) homosexuals can consent and children (like animals, and the dead) do not have the capacity to consent.
Original post by typonaut
I invite you to do your best with that one - but given that words are intangible I don't expect you'll have much fun that way.

You can try to twist these concepts as much as you like, but the common understanding of them is clear enough.

You're the one that's twisting definitions!
I was just pointing out the flaw in your logic.
You said it yourself that paedo means child and philia means love/attraction so there for paedophilia is simply an attraction towards children. In no way does that suggest that intercourse is being had with those children.
That is a blatant strawman.
Just because you chose a definition of necrophilia that involves intercourse (There are many that don't by the way) doesn't mean you can apply that definition to paedophilia as well because then you would have to apply it to all other words that end in philia. Hence my above reply
Original post by BugzyMalone
Paedophillia is prevalent in the bible and occurs in Middle Eastern countries. Also we've become accepting of all sorts of bizarre sexual orientations- homosexuality, asexuality, necrophillia and beastiality. The fact these are all accepted as the norm these days in society raises a quietly controversial question- should our views on Paedophillia change?

The legality of paedophilia is merely not applicable, and if anything, it shouldn't be made illegal, as it is merely a sexual attraction.
Why do people always confuse sexual attractions with sexual behaviour?

So yes, society's views should change; paedophilia should be legalised (if it is not legal already.)

And since when has necrophilia or bestiality for that matter been accepted?

Original post by Reue
Yes, it should be treated more as a mental illness.

No, it should'nt be legalised.

Legalisation is not applicable in the sense you're using it, as it's merely a sexual attraction.
The entire emphasis of stigmatisation should be placed on actions.

Original post by bassbabe
Yes, lets legalise sexual abuse of children. Plonker.

Read above; your premise is wrong.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I've not had sex with men or women or a trans individual or a third gender individual or an agender individual, but I am pansexual despite not having actually acted on this. That is my sexual orientation.

Sexuality is a combination of sexual orientation, paraphillias, fetishes, sexual behaviours etc.

I don't know context for this post, but amazingly said.
Original post by Jamie55
Without paedophilia, would we have sexual child abuse?

Yes. (Well from what I've heard.) Apparently most molesters are opportunists, and others for things like manipulation, dominance and power plays.
Reply 206
Original post by XcitingStuart

Legalisation is not applicable in the sense you're using it, as it's merely a sexual attraction.

Yes, I clarified this afterwards.
Original post by Keyhofi
Paedophiles are normal people. They care about children like you or me. Most will never actually abuse a child as they know it is wrong.

This is merely a post regarding semantics.
I won't say "normal" because I use "normal" in a very statistical sense, that "normal" is dictated by majority.
(With a slight emphasis on what is traditional.)

Original post by Cherie Amour
You have such an annoyingly angry tone. Do not be condescending. I know what it means. I said illegal is based on something that is deemed wrong, thus making it illegal.

I'm not under impressions. Like you just did, I googled to be sure and it said enjoying it as a hobby.

That's a bit like the word "homophobia".
You search up "-phobia", and I'm pretty sure you come up with a fear for something.
You now search up "homophobia", and it will come up with a hatred, or prejudice for something.
Can't be bothered to make sure I'm definitely right though.

Original post by bassbabe
I was on about pedos acting out their sick fantasies. Sooner or later they do eventually. Bye PLONKER No.2 :smile:

How did you come to that conclusion? :curious: :genuinely confused:
The legality of paedophilia is merely not applicable, and if anything, it shouldn't be made illegal, as it is merely a sexual attraction.
Why do people always confuse sexual attractions with sexual behaviour?

So yes, society's views should change; paedophilia should be legalised (if it is not legal already.)

And since when has necrophilia or bestiality for that matter been accepted?

Read above; your premise is wrong.

I really, really, REALLY don't understand why people on this thread don't understand this. I don't know why it's so difficult for them to comprehend.
They are letting their emotions get in the way of reason. And when you point out that they are wrong they start backtracking and twisting the definition of paedophilia to suit their needs.
This is merely a post regarding semantics.
I won't say "normal" because I use "normal" in a very statistical sense, that "normal" is dictated by majority.
(With a slight emphasis on what is traditional.)

Ah, I mean that absolutely anyone can be a paedophile. They could be famous or a benefit scrounger, they could be a teacher, doctor, builder, or priest. There is no way to identify a paedophile in the real world from their everyday actions. Hence all paedophiles are normal people who do not stand out from the crowd.
Original post by Keyhofi
Ah, I mean that absolutely anyone can be a paedophile. They could be famous or a benefit scrounger, they could be a teacher, doctor, builder, or priest. There is no way to identify a paedophile in the real world from their everyday actions. Hence all paedophiles are normal people who do not stand out from the crowd.

I see.
You're the one that's twisting definitions!
I was just pointing out the flaw in your logic.
You said it yourself that paedo means child and philia means love/attraction so there for paedophilia is simply an attraction towards children. In no way does that suggest that intercourse is being had with those children.
That is a blatant strawman.
Just because you chose a definition of necrophilia that involves intercourse (There are many that don't by the way) doesn't mean you can apply that definition to paedophilia as well because then you would have to apply it to all other words that end in philia. Hence my above reply

This is total *******s. I don't know what drug you are using, or what your agenda is, but there is nothing normal about paedophilia, and the clear definition of that term is that it includes the possibility of sexual contact with children.

As far as making claims as to paedophilia only involving the mental element, the mens rea, and that actual contact with children is required, this again is a false assertion. In the UK it is illegal to make any expression that depicts children in sexual activities - ie writing down fantasies or making drawings.
Original post by Infraspecies
I see nothing inherently harmful with being attracted to children.

Of course, breaking the law and having sex with a person below the age of consent is, and should be, illegal. The two are not the same though. People can not help what arouses them, and it seems fairest to judge people by what they choose to do, not what they cannot prevent themselves wanting.

Please try to put your head on straight. We are not talking about adults being attracted to children, we are talking about adults having a sexual attraction to children. This is inherently harmful and should be considered a mental illness. People who have such desires should be seeking professional psychiatric help.

Try the Oxford definition once again:

Paedophilia: Sexual feelings directed towards children.

Here's the definition of "-phila":

combining form
denoting fondness, esp. an abnormal love for a specified thing : paedophilia.
denoting undue inclination: spasmophilia.

I think it's clear enough that abnormal and undue inclinations are not considered within the bounds of normality.

If you go back to the definition of paedophilia the key word is "directed", which I think again has a reasonably straightforward and simple meaning:

Verb
2 (trans.) aim (something) in a particular direction or at a particular person : heating ducts to direct warm air to rear-seat passengers | his smile was directed at Laura.

focus or concentrate (one's attention, efforts, or feelings) on : we direct our anger and frustration at family.

Clearly this means not just thoughts, but actions too.

Please do stop telling us that you have some superior understanding of what are terms that most people understand in a completely different way to you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Infraspecies
It was fairly clear that I was talking about sexual attraction, and I've already stated that I do not see that as inherently harmful, you stating to the contrary isn't overly convincing.

What is inherently harmful about being sexually aroused by children, on its own? Who is harmed by that?

I agree, that it can lead to harmful acts, but it needn't.

I don't recall using the word, actually. If you want to keep putting words into my mouth, by all means continue, but I'd really prefer you didn't.

Don't you wish that idiots that post ****e like this would post under their real names!?
Original post by typonaut
This is total *******s. I don't know what drug you are using, or what your agenda is, but there is nothing normal about paedophilia, and the clear definition of that term is that it includes the possibility of sexual contact with children.

As far as making claims as to paedophilia only involving the mental element, the mens rea, and that actual contact with children is required, this again is a false assertion. In the UK it is illegal to make any expression that depicts children in sexual activities - ie writing down fantasies or making drawings.

I don't have an 'agenda' but fine whatever.
I never said it was normal and you are still strawmanning so there's no way for me to get through to you. You keep purposefully misunderstanding what I'm saying and putting words in my mouth in order to further your argument.
I'm yet to find a definition that explicitly states that paedopiles must have intercourse with children but you don't seem to want to give up on that.

Also you'll find that most people on this thread agree that paedophilia is just sexual attraction towards children and paedophilia and child sexual abuse are different things.
Not sure why it's just me you're choosing to attack.

At the end of the day I still stand by the fact that you cannot criminalise thoughts and desires. You can only help the people who are suffering from their mental health issue,
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm actually losing faith in humanity being on the internet and reading these questions and opinions.
No matter if you support homosexuality or not, at least two adult men/two adult women are choosing to sleep together and not being forced into something which they don't wish to do. Asexuals also are choosing to not persue something that they don't want to do either. But peodophiles finding children attractive is just sick and disgusting, and i don't understand how it can be questionable and not make you want to vom. Children aren't sexually mature and they don't want to be having sex. So for them to be viewed in a crude way is just disgusting and not respecting them, and to act on it is rape, as it is against their will. So yeah definitely something that should be made legal, great idea.
Original post by salsasauce
I'm actually losing faith in humanity being on the internet and reading these questions and opinions.
No matter if you support homosexuality or not, at least two adult men/two adult women are choosing to sleep together and not being forced into something which they don't wish to do. Asexuals also are choosing to not persue something that they don't want to do either. But peodophiles finding children attractive is just sick and disgusting, and i don't understand how it can be questionable and not make you want to vom. Children aren't sexually mature and they don't want to be having sex. So for them to be viewed in a crude way is just disgusting and not respecting them, and to act on it is rape, as it is against their will. So yeah definitely something that should be made legal, great idea.

So glad you agree.... I previously said this. But everyone seemed to think I was mad, this is why pedophilia is becoming so common, because of people like this who consider it to be normal. Makes me mad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by salsasauce

I totally understand when people hold this opinion but you can't really lock someone up because of their sexual desires can you? People are allowed to have sexual desires/attractions no matter how sick or twisted you think it is. Rather than demonising these people who are sexually attracted to children why don't we try to help them overcome this serious mental issue? You'll find that most paedophiles are honestly seeking for help though they can never find any because of the stigma and would never do anything to actually physically harm a child as they are aware abuse is wrong despite the attraction they feel towards said children.
It'll also interest you to hear that most child sexual abusers aren't even attracted to children at all (hence not paedophiles) but just psychotic and enjoy dominance and power .
:smile:

No one is saying paedophilia should be legal because it's not even possible to legalise or illegalise thoughts and desires.
Child sexual abuse is very illegal though and very disgusting
Original post by elliemayxo
So glad you agree.... I previously said this. But everyone seemed to think I was mad, this is why pedophilia is becoming so common, because of people like this who consider it to be normal. Makes me mad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I keep trying to get through to you but you never reply :frown:
If you read my posts properly you'll see I actually agree with you :frown:
I keep trying to get through to you but you never reply :frown:
If you read my posts properly you'll see I actually agree with you :frown:

Hi, sorry! I received quite a lot of responses on this thread so it was hard for me to see every one. I understand you weren't disagreeing with me, I never had an issue with anything you said.

It was more so the people who were trying to tell me it was 'natural thoughts' that made me angry. I hold no grudges against you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending