Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just started my AS-levels and i'm really struggling with german. i'm really nervous about the speaking assessments i will have to do in may as well - which i knew about before, but i just found out we only get 20mins preparation. i really don't want to do it now, and i am allowed to change subjects if it's in the next two weeks, but i am no good at anything else besides my other subjects (maths, art + RS). i don't know what to do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizad)
    I've just started my AS-levels and i'm really struggling with german. i'm really nervous about the speaking assessments i will have to do in may as well - which i knew about before, but i just found out we only get 20mins preparation. i really don't want to do it now, and i am allowed to change subjects if it's in the next two weeks, but i am no good at anything else besides my other subjects (maths, art + RS). i don't know what to do??
    Pick an easy subject like ICT or History (my opinion) instead of german so you will have less stress later, I picked history as a 4th subject and concentrated on the other 3 and didn't revise at all for History.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to take four? Some of our students are doing an EPQ instead of a 4th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayless)
    Pick an easy subject like ICT or History (my opinion) instead of german so you will have less stress later, I picked history as a 4th subject and concentrated on the other 3 and didn't revise at all for History.
    that's helpful, but i don't actually have a gcse in history. i took geography..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Do you have to take four? Some of our students are doing an EPQ instead of a 4th.
    yeah, i have to take four a-levels.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i have to take four a-levels.
    What else is in the other block or do you have a free choice?

ReputationRep:
    What else is in the other block or do you have a free choice?
    im not 100% sure, i haven't spoken to anybody at college about it yet. my tutor is actually the german teacher, so i think she'll probably just try and talk me into continuing to take german.

ReputationRep:
    im not 100% sure, i haven't spoken to anybody at college about it yet. my tutor is actually the german teacher, so i think she'll probably just try and talk me into continuing to take german.
    If you're not confident about speaking then German might not be the best - what are your thoughts post school as your other A levels are quite diverse?

ReputationRep:
    If you're not confident about speaking then German might not be the best - what are your thoughts post school as your other A levels are quite diverse?
    I'm really not sure, i only took the subjects i liked at GCSE. i haven't really got any plans for the future.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not sure, i only took the subjects i liked at GCSE. i haven't really got any plans for the future.
    Very sensible

What about English Language or Graphics or a Science?

ReputationRep:
    Very sensible

What about English Language or Graphics or a Science?
    i took foundation science so it's not my strong point, i didn't do graphics and english could be possible but it wasn't my favourite subject and i got a B in it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    i took foundation science so it's not my strong point, i didn't do graphics and english could be possible but it wasn't my favourite subject and i got a B in it in the end.
    OK - what other GCSEs did you do?

What about Psychology?

ReputationRep:
    OK - what other GCSEs did you do?

What about Psychology?
    maths, art, english lit + lang, science additional +core, german, geography, music + philosophy. psychology was actually the other one i was considering doing, so thanks for reminding me!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    maths, art, english lit + lang, science additional +core, german, geography, music + philosophy. psychology was actually the other one i was considering doing, so thanks for reminding me!
    How about geography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    How about geography?
    geography is a definite no, i was awful at it and only just passed. thats why its so difficult, I've literally got no other subjects I'm good at..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    geography is a definite no, i was awful at it and only just passed. thats why its so difficult, I've literally got no other subjects I'm good at..
    How about sociology?
    I did it and loved it. I may be wrong, but i dont think you need to have done it at gcse to do it at a-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    How about sociology?
    I did it and loved it. I may be wrong, but i dont think you need to have done it at gcse to do it at a-level.
    yeah, thats a good idea. we didn't have it as a gcse so it's definitely possible, thank you!!

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.