Turn on thread page Beta

B861 - Sunday Trading Act (Repeal) Bill 2015 watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B861 - Sunday Trading Act (Repeal) Bill 2015, TSR Liberal Party

SUNDAY TRADING ACT (REPEAL) BILL 2015
    A Bill to repeal the Sunday Trading Act 1994

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Repeal
    (1) The Sunday Trading Act 1994 shall henceforth be repealed.

2 Short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Sunday Trading Act (Repeal) Act 2015.
    (2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Small stores will struggle to stay open all week round, damaging small business. Also, shorter trading hours on Sundays creates a culture where Sundays are used for free time, which both helps the leisure industry and society as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahret)
    Nay. Small stores will struggle to stay open all week round, damaging small business. Also, shorter trading hours on Sundays creates a culture where Sundays are used for free time, which both helps the leisure industry and society as a whole.
    Hear Hear

ReputationRep:
    Hear, hear!

Liberals, wtf?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I see the 'New Liberals' have started to mark out their ideological territory - supplementing this with a new and improved bill format which I imagine will be kept constant throughout. Then mark of Jarred is present.

Some notes would be appreciated to help me understand the arguments for this measure. Without these I am inclined to agree with what the Hon. Tahret has said.

Small shops don't have to open on Sundays if they don't want to - it's up to individual shops to determine their opening times. Fundamentally, I believe that this bill is about allowing people the freedom to choose when and where they want to shop - if Sundays are more convenient for customers and shopowners, then they shouldn't be restricted by completely arbitrary legislation.
    As for your second point, people aren't going to spend less leisure time simply because they have slightly more freedom to shop on a Sunday. They might re-organise their week so their schedule suits them more, and end up shopping on a Sunday and relaxing on a Saturday, but I see that flexibility as a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Actaeon)
    Small shops don't have to open on Sundays if they don't want to - it's up to individual shops to determine their opening times. Fundamentally, I believe that this bill is about allowing people the freedom to choose when and where they want to shop - if Sundays are more convenient for customers and shopowners, then they shouldn't be restricted by completely arbitrary legislation.
    As for your second point, people aren't going to spend less leisure time simply because they have slightly more freedom to shop on a Sunday. They might re-organise their week so their schedule suits them more, and end up shopping on a Sunday and relaxing on a Saturday, but I see that flexibility as a good thing.
    1) But they would have to in order to compete with superstores like Asda and Tesco. It would only be these stores that would be able to find enough employees to stay open on a Sunday for longer.

2) The problem is finding employees for small businesses. Shop owners don't want to work 7 days a week in order to feed their kids, and most people don't want to work on a Sunday. Small businesses would have to pay higher wages for Sunday workers, making their activities less profitable, therefore making them less competitive compared with larger businesses. Thus leading to these shops having to close on a Sunday anyway, losing revenue as a result to superstores.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    1) But they would have to in order to compete with superstores like Asda and Tesco. It would only be these stores that would be able to find enough employees to stay open on a Sunday for longer.

2) The problem is finding employees for small businesses. Shop owners don't want to work 7 days a week in order to feed their kids, and most people don't want to work on a Sunday. Small businesses would have to pay higher wages for Sunday workers, making their activities less profitable, therefore making them less competitive compared with larger businesses. Thus leading to these shops having to close on a Sunday anyway, losing revenue as a result to superstores.
    1) I disagree. At the moment, people are forced to go to the more expensive Tesco Express and likewise mini-supermarket stores on Sunday, protecting the big businesses.

2) There are plenty of unemployed people that would take the work, which would drive down he cost of wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    1) I disagree. At the moment, people are forced to go to the more expensive Tesco Express and likewise mini-supermarket stores on Sunday, protecting the big businesses.

2) There are plenty of unemployed people that would take the work, which would drive down he cost of wages.
    1) Do people actually shop on Sundays at the moment? I thought the whole idea of extending the hours was so that more people would shop on Sundays to drive the economy.

2) Are there? People are quite picky about the jobs they do - most people don't want to work in a shop on a Sunday, and those that do would want higher wages.

To add to this, it is worth emphasizing that the Sunday Trading Act restricts opening hours based on floor size. So a small business with only one shop in one town could experience restrictions, while a large multi-national with the resources to buy many different small shops wouldn't experience any impact at all.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    1) Do people actually shop on Sundays at the moment? I thought the whole idea of extending the hours was so that more people would shop on Sundays to drive the economy.

2) Are there? People are quite picky about the jobs they do - most people don't want to work in a shop on a Sunday, and those that do would want higher wages.
    1) Some people do, but by opening more shops, it is likely that more people will shop and that prices will drop (though it wouldnt be anything substantial) in the mini-supermarkets.

2) Some people are in a position where they cannot be picky.

ReputationRep:
    1) Some people do, but by opening more shops, it is likely that more people will shop and that prices will drop (though it wouldnt be anything substantial) in the mini-supermarkets.

2) Some people are in a position where they cannot be picky.
    1) Prices drop, small businesses are outcompeted, close down and jobs are lost. Superstores are then free to manipulate prices as they wish without much competition. Not to mention loss of the social aspect of local shopping to supermarkets (see the US and Walmart).

2) Not with our benefits system they aren't. People can literally live on benefits their whole lives.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye, aye, aye.

No particular day needs placing on a pedestal.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    To be fair, I do shop quite often on a Sunday - it's actually quite enjoyable to go round when it's a bit quieter in there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    To be fair, I do shop quite often on a Sunday - it's actually quite enjoyable to go round when it's a bit quieter in there!
    Does prove my point that it's quieter though! The thing is, you only go because it's quiet no?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Does prove my point that it's quieter though! The thing is, you only go because it's quiet no?
    Yep, much quieter! And yes and no! Occasionally I'll go regardless because I need something, but then again, I'll often put off shopping on a Saturday and go on a Sunday because it's quiet - so, more yes than no!

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for not replying to this sooner. Actaeon raises a very good point that the current legislation dictates the Sunday hours by floor size - independent shops can still be affected by these closures just as much as the larger retail chains. All retail shops would still come under the HSE Working Time Regulations preventing overworking. It seems to be forgotten that offices, factories, catering, and hospitality businesses are not restricted by these rules which leaves retail as an anomaly. As it stands, service stations, airport shops and farms are not restricted by these rules either.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Actaeon)
    To add to this, it is worth emphasizing that the Sunday Trading Act restricts opening hours based on floor size. So a small business with only one shop in one town could experience restrictions, while a large multi-national with the resources to buy many different small shops wouldn't experience any impact at all.
    I would argue to the contrary, it is the small businesses that are allowed to be open, but they aren't because they cannot afford to while the large businesses can afford to staff small stores off the back of their larger ones, or I suppose really I should say that they can weather potential unreliability in Sunday trading. In terms of helping the smaller businesses I would say that the better solution would be to repeal whatever part of whatever act it is that deals with time and a half on Sundays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I see the 'New Liberals' have started to mark out their ideological territory - supplementing this with a new and improved bill format which I imagine will be kept constant throughout. Then mark of Jarred is present.

Some notes would be appreciated to help me understand the arguments for this measure. Without these I am inclined to agree with what the Hon. Tahret has said.
    Actually it's my format, but thank you

Apologies for the lack of a notes section, however.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There is a lot of bs that I see on this thread.

1) This bill doesn't stop shops from closing early on a Sunday

2) Plenty people would like to shop on a Sunday

3) Sunday trading laws don't protect business, they have nothing to do with that, sunday trading laws exist because people are supposed to go to church on a Sunday

Aye!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.