Turn on thread page Beta
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I have really vivid 'flashbacks' of events that happened years ago- they are not traumatic events, just random scenes. For example, I can remember exactly what I was wearing years ago, the food I ate, the clothes and faces of strangers passing by... I also can recite conversations I had ages ago with other people, and random things I heard. Its like I'm watching a movie in my head, but I already know the story, and I can recall exactly what happens next in sequence, even if it occurred a couple of years ago, and in the most minute detail. It feels like I'm right there again!

Sorry for my illiteracy, it's really hard to convey it but I hope someone experiences something similar!

(Original post by Lularose83)
    I have really vivid 'flashbacks' of events that happened years ago- they are not traumatic events, just random scenes. For example, I can remember exactly what I was wearing years ago, the food I ate, the clothes and faces of strangers passing by... I also can recite conversations I had ages ago with other people, and random things I heard. Its like I'm watching a movie in my head, but I already know the story, and I can recall exactly what happens next in sequence, even if it occurred a couple of years ago, and in the most minute detail. It feels like I'm right there again!

Sorry for my illiteracy, it's really hard to convey it but I hope someone experiences something similar!
    You are not alone in this, it happens to me too. Then I think to myself 'How do I remember that?'. Then people think I'm weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    I have really vivid 'flashbacks' of events that happened years ago- they are not traumatic events, just random scenes. For example, I can remember exactly what I was wearing years ago, the food I ate, the clothes and faces of strangers passing by... I also can recite conversations I had ages ago with other people, and random things I heard. Its like I'm watching a movie in my head, but I already know the story, and I can recall exactly what happens next in sequence, even if it occurred a couple of years ago, and in the most minute detail. It feels like I'm right there again!Sorry for my illiteracy, it's really hard to convey it but I hope someone experiences something similar!
    I've had something similar but I still don't know the cause of it.

Last year, for about 4-5 months I was experiencing extremely vivid flashbacks to random events in the past (typically childhood). These would happen between a few times a day and a few times per week. I couldn't find a link between the things seen in the flashbacks. It really seemed 100% random.

The flashbacks were extremely short, and I forgot a lot of the details of each soon after finishing them. I would basically re-live the moment and when I came out of the flashback and back to reality I would be slightly disorientated and have no recollection of what I was just doing.

This was particularly bad if I had one during a conversation with someone. I would come out of the flashback to see someone talking to me, but I would not know anything about the conversation and would have to figure it out from what was being said. The other person or people never seemed to realise that I had just had a flashback...

I never recovered the lost memories in the moments leading up to a flashback, although I estimate it was only on the order of 10s of seconds of lost memories.

Immediately coming out of a flashback I would feel slightly sad that those times were gone, even if the flashback was of a sad memory (which was rare but did happen - most flashbacks contained no significant emotions and all emotions were seen across the range of them). Later in that day my mood would change to feeling happy for remembering those bygone times. These flashbacks were always of memories that I had previously forgotten, but I just knew they were real memories when I re-experienced them.

The flashbacks started happening suddenly, they remained with me for a few months as previously stated in a steady state, then they stopped just as suddenly.

Not had any since and it's been over a year since my last one.

Would be nice if someone here did know what these were about and could help me understand what caused them...

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.