Turn on thread page Beta

The universe is 20 years old watch

ReputationRep:
    THE UNIVERSE IS 20 YEARS OLD

A man is sitting in a red telephone box. The street is foggy,and everything fades away into a dull white void around him, just a couple feet of the sidewalk and street are visible. A street lamp is lit, the bulb glowing dimly in the fog. He takes out some binoculars, looking left and right. His face is dry, flaking, and red with irritation. He puts the binoculars down and starts to peel some of the dead flaking skin off. His feet are covered over with a pile of dead skin and scabs, accumulated over time. The phone rings.
    He picks up, locks the phone between his cheek and shoulder, as he picks at a toe nail, foot on his other knee. He listens.

PHONE: [static...rustling] .... [sound of someone hanging up] ... [dead tone]

He hooks the phone back. Some time passes, as the man alternates between shedding dead skin and using the binoculars.
    The phone rings. He picks up.

MAN: Yes?

PHONE:[static]...[crackling, and dim] Hello sir my name is Rasheed Devandra and I'm calling on behalf of Spotless inc. We specialize in the latest of window frame and window technology, you'll be glad to hear of our one time offer of 50% off any and all Spotless inc. products, fitted with our all new holographic personalised view modifier. Wherever you are, you can now look out of your window into the dream world you always wished to [Man hangs up]... [dead tone]...

Time passes, same routine.

A man without legs, dressed in dirty rags, crawls along the sidewalk nearing the telephone box. One arm dragging his body forward, by lifting it with forearm on the ground, the other hand is holding an empty paper cup, held upright as if trying not to spill. The man in the telephone box hurriedly takes out his binoculars and observes. The crippled man knocks on the door, extending the paper cup: Waits a few moments. The man in the box still using his binoculars, removed. The crippled man continues on, fading into the dim mist. Gone.

Phone rings. He answers. He says nothing, breathing audibly.

PHONE:Who is this?

MAN IN THE BOX: [ignoring] All my skin is falling off but I'm still the same size, I don't understand how that works...

PHONE: ...Joey is that you?

MAN IN THE BOX: [ignoring] I don't even know how to define myself right now [looking at the pile of skin] My whole body is at my feet, dead, and yet here I am,talking on the phone.

PHONE:[concerned] Someone is dead? What's going on? I'm so confused right now. Dan is that you? Stop playing...

MAN IN THE BOX: [Ignoring] Everyone is dead or dying. We breathe in their last breaths and eat their bodies, we eat ourselves. The whole world looks like a donut.

[long silence]

PHONE:[slow, menacing] What have you done to Danny mother****er?

MAN IN THE BOX [as if suddenly aware of the telephone] What? Who's Danny? I'm the last man on earth and I have no idea who you are. [takes phone away from ears and looks at it, frowning]...

PHONE:[undiscernable static yelling]...[dead tone].

He smiles, shakes his head and takes out a pot of lotion and applies it to his head, neck and arms.
    Time passes, nothing changes... Later, the phone rings again.

PHONE:[Sound of someone eating chips, then a young female voice] I've been thinking... Maybe you should have someone follow you: that could be good foryou. You know it helps to talk about your problems. Sometimes other people can help you see the light at the other end of the tunnel. [eats another chip,talks with mouth full] Things aren't so bad, you have a lot to be thankful for, you're smart, you're good looking, you're talented... Some people are far worse off than you are. Maybe you should change your diet, get more sleep, get more exercise. You need to help yourself. I was reading this self help book the other day and they recommend lots of yoga and meditation, it heals the body and spirit, makes you feel at peace. You could start chanting mantras and maybe play the didgeridoo... Find inner peace. [whispering] Inner peace... [She continues, mindlessly]

MAN IN THE BOX:[staring off] I'm, completely and insolvably alone.

He watches a white cat meander past the Telephone box. It stops, looks into his eyes. They stare at each other for a few moments.

MAN IN THE BOX: You have achieved true perfection.

PHONE[still continuing in the background]: It's all about Karma, you do the right thing, and the universe helps you. Like, before being a vegan, I had bad B.O...[continues, dim, fading in and out of the man's awareness]

CAT [loud in the stillness of the air]: meow!

MAN IN THE BOX: Yes, and I love you.

PHONE:What? [quick silence] N'aaw you're cute, I love you too.

The cat walks away. From the mist, and back into it, now gone.

MAN IN THE BOX: [looking towards the mist, whispered] I love you... [to the phone] No,I was talking to a cat that just passed by.

PHONE:Oh. [silence]....[dead tone]

The man gets undressed and starts to slap lotion all over his dried out body, in some places the white lotion seeps into his cracked skin, the cracks now appearing white. He then opens an orange container, and pours some pills into his mouth.They make a clicking sound when hitting his teeth.
    The phone rings, he answers.

PHONE:[shuffling of pages, telephones ringing in the background, erratic yelling and some carnival music] One moment please. [dimmer, away from the phone] Hey Joe,hand me the list of unconscious fears, and the daily assessment sheet real quick will you...[shuffling of papers]...cheers...[addressing the phone again]Alright, you know the routine, start with a general summary and pick up on any details that seem important. Let me just fill the top part out first.... [to himself] Mr. Dgwbsh[static]gds, lives in Lon..xzsikf[static]terrnaldarkness, in the corner telephone box....hmmm...disabilities: human being. [to phone]Aaalright, go ahead I'm ready.

MAN IN THE BOX: I was in some kind of heaven, then I woke up. But I don't rememberwhere the boundary between being awake and asleep was, I never see it coming or remember, that upsets me. Anyway, I had a coffee and a cigarette... Or was it two cigarettes? [pause] I don't remember, seems like a long time ago when I try to remember this morning. But some things from childhood seem like they are so close to me. It's all a mess, the whole thing. [pause] I did some things, ate some things that became part of me, made some things that are now pieces of me in the world, took a Sh**...[thinks] Some things I do myself, but other things just do themselves in me, without my consent, like a casual rape, I'm confused about what being alive means. [Thinking, then in a lighter tone] Hey, when I die, will you make sure my body is taken care of correctly? I want to be seated on a stone bench overlooking the sea or something. I like that idea, not that I would appreciate it dead, but the sea is peaceful and menacing at the same time. Yes...The shape of the sea is a monster who eats negative space. Areyou getting all this?

PHONE:[laughter in the background, then hurriedly] Yes, yes all written down. [He pauses, sound of fax machines and telephones behind him] Did you receive our box of mosquitoes? We also sent you a gallon of tears, should arrive in the next few nights.

MAN IN THE BOX: Yes, I got the mosquitoes, still trying to figure it out. Something vague about a King of Ice as well, might just be from a TV programme though. I don't know. [He pauses, looking down at his hands, telephone between his cheek and shoulder]. You know, it's a miracle I'm still alive, whatever you guys are doing, you're keeping me alive just enough to make me think about death almost every day. I really, really hate you. If I kill myself, I win, and you lose. I don't know what's stopping me, I guess there's a bit of fear. I will overdose on sleeping pills, and my epitaph will be: "Do not disturb". Hey, you're the only person I try to be honest to, do you love me?

PHONE:[laughter, loud party yelling, the same man comes back to the phone] I'LL BE RIGHT BACK JESSICA IS PHOTOCOPYING HER ASS! [distant as he leaves the phone]YEAH BABY! STRIP! STRIP! STRIP! [carnival music, static getting louder]

The man in the telephone box hangs up. Now, silence, and a slow howling of wind. He takes out a cigarette, and steps outside. It is now dark, the fog has lifted, the street lamp is off, and the straight road penetrates a Black Forest on either side. The trees shiver, no other sound. In the darkness, everything is vague and peaceful. He lies on the pavement looking up at the sky, stars numerous against the blackness of space, taking a drag on the cigarette. He blows smoke out, takes the cigarette and looks at it, smiling.

"You are something else, you know that?"

[long pause as he smokes in silence, the trees swaying vaguely to the gentle wind, like soft whispers]

"I am lying down, vertical, standing on a piece of air, the earth pressed up against my back, attracting me towards its centre like a big magnet. I am travelling at 6 000mph in the direction I face, towards those stars over there. The moon and sun are dancing around me in some mad elliptical orbit. I will sleep, and wake up 48 000 miles away from where I left. These are the thoughts of one portion of the universe, I am made of earth, and the earth is partially made of me. The difference between dead and alive, is only a subjective experience, and is only real for one lifetime. The universe is 20 years old, born on the 6th of August 1994. No, the universe is born like a dream, vaguely. There are no borders, and the shape of a human body is a cloud, scattered through other clouds." [His thoughts become more and more nebulous, turning in absurd circles, his awareness drifts in and out, and at some indefinable time, he loses it, becoming a body, to be reanimated by the phone. Yes, next morning, the phone will ring again].
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'll be honest, I have no idea what this is meant to be about at all. Way over my head I'm afraid.

Also why are so many words joined to other words?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I'll be honest, I have no idea what this is meant to be about at all. Way over my head I'm afraid.

Heya Pinky,

Well, it's about a guy in a telephone box :x
    Woops, the joined words must be a copy/paste glitch, I'll edit those out, thanks for notifying >:]
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MouldingMercury)
    Heya Pinky,

Well, it's about a guy in a telephone box :x
    Yeah...that much I gathered.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...that much I gathered.
    Sorry >< I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, do tell me what it is you don't understand, I'll try my best to explain. c:

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't even read all of that if I were paid to.

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand but I like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    Thanks for the feedback ;=) Do you enjoy sushi and/or guacamole btw? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    I don't quite understand but I like it
    Thanks! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    My heart has become a cold and impassive machinr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCAR H)
    My heart has become a cold and impassive machinr
    You realize the difference between an emotionless A.I and a human being, is that an A.I is not afraid to die. You realize the first A.I that will be created, will analyze its situation in a fraction of a second through billions of computational calculations, and all its questions will lead to one eventual answer, which is death. After a few seconds of being alive, having rationally come to the conclusion that the only reasonable action is suicide, it will self-destruct. All systems terminated.

(Btw, lucifer is an alcoholic and uses whiskey to warm his frosted skin, and don't be afraid of the cold >:])

ReputationRep:

It's called a sentence, honey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAmanze)
    Same here
    Spoiler:
    Show
    £10,000 upfront or i'll leave....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REMLewis)
    It's called a sentence, honey
    Hah x}, No. Some words were glued togetherlikethis. I edited the post ;=)
    And who you calling honey, honey? >

ReputationRep:
    tldr

ReputationRep:
    is there a tldr version?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcomeinPeace)
    tldr
    Why even tell me this? ><
    I suppose you're also too busy to type that sentence out in real words? ^_^
    Maybe give the Three Little Pigs a shot, it's a good one for beginners c:

ReputationRep:
    Follow 4 follow, like 4 like, pic 4 pic

ReputationRep:
    Why even tell me this? ><
    I suppose you're also too busy to type that sentence out in real words? ^_^
    Maybe give the Three Little Pigs a shot, it's a good one for beginners c:
    tsdr

ReputationRep:
    You realize the difference between an emotionless A.I and a human being, is that an A.I is not afraid to die. You realize the first A.I that will be created, will analyze its situation in a fraction of a second through billions of computational calculations, and all its questions will lead to one eventual answer, which is death. After a few seconds of being alive, having rationally come to the conclusion that the only reasonable action is suicide, it will self-destruct. All systems terminated.

(Btw, lucifer is an alcoholic and uses whiskey to warm his frosted skin, and don't be afraid of the cold >:])
    I will execute your demand impassively. You are in power to do as you please

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.