Who's doing volunteer work this summer or at the moment Watch

This discussion is closed.
hattori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
or in the near future?

why are you doing it and what are you doing.

I'm thinking of doing something for a charity shop.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im thinking of doing some for the victims of crime thingy. it should be good on your CV.
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've done it- I was with a local youth volunteering agency. It went a bit crap but I loved it at the time. I did loads of things like update their website, go on a trip to spain, work with handicapped children, loads of social things, help organise a national conference. I loved it, met most of my friends through it and it definitely helped in getting my uni place!
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thinking of volunteering at a hospital partly for my CV but mainly as it'll fill spare time during the summer. Does anyone know what hospital voluteering actually entails though as I'm quite vague on the whole idea?
zombie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
Thinking of volunteering at a hospital partly for my CV but mainly as it'll fill spare time during the summer. Does anyone know what hospital voluteering actually entails though as I'm quite vague on the whole idea?
I had my first day volunteering at my local Trust today. Basically, I went in for dinner, and from what I gather, that's when most volunteers work because that's when they mainly need people. I got to shadow an absolutely brilliant woman today, she had such a great rapport with the patients and was really really friendly.

So from what I gather, what I'll be doing is going in over say lunch or dinner and helping with getting all their meals out to the right patients, maybe do a little feeding and general tidying. Making tea/toast for patients, getting the phone... that's the sort of thing I did today. There are times you feel like a bit of a spare part but generally there's stuff to be getting stuck into.

You don't have to stay for ages, apparently, the lady I was with was telling me she used to stay for aaaaages, waiting for someone to say you can go now, but now she just says 'is it alright if I take off now' when it looks like most of the work is done.

Just get an interview with the voluntary work coordinator for you local hospital, and he/she'll outline the different opportunities for you. The lady that organised mine was dead helpful, and there's tons of different stuff from work with patients (like what I described) to admin stuff etc. etc.

Anyways, good luck - I hope you find something you enjoy and that's worthwhile. I must say, I got this slight buzz from going in today, and at least I'm doing something useful with my time instead of watching the Simpsons or something.

David
muncrun
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've recently volunteered for the Citizens' Advice Bereau. I'm planning to become a solicitor and this is exactly the sort of thing I find interesting. It's great when you can find volunteer work that you can actually enjoy in itself.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys working with people. Not only do they want advisers, but also all sorts of 'support' staff (eg. ICT work, secretarial).

It is potentially quite handy for those who wish to become solicitors - it is possible to reduce the length of a training contract by six months.
fivebyfive
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm thinking of doing some environmental stuff such as planting trees and managing sand dunes.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Last summer I did volunteer work with a local furniture charity. I chose to do van-work, which was basically collecting and delivering furniture and directing the driver. Very fun and very rewarding.
PapeeChumo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by muncrun)
I've recently volunteered for the Citizens' Advice Bereau. I'm planning to become a solicitor and this is exactly the sort of thing I find interesting. It's great when you can find volunteer work that you can actually enjoy in itself.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys working with people. Not only do they want advisers, but also all sorts of 'support' staff (eg. ICT work, secretarial).

It is potentially quite handy for those who wish to become solicitors - it is possible to reduce the length of a training contract by six months.
hi i enquired with regrds to the CAB as i intend to become a solicitor-they said the only available VW work was where one would have to be trained for six months-what was involved in ur VW
Fairydust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have done volunteering in a nursery and im also going to go and do some volunteering in hospital after the summer. I think it will be very rewarding and also help with my future career after my degree
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've done volunteering in a hospice (on the wards). Best and most rewarding thing I've ever done.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1276)
79.7%
Leave (325)
20.3%

Watched Threads