Turn on thread page Beta

Do I need to lose more weight? watch

So I used to be very overweight as a 5'8 girl I weighed 220 pounds which is classified as obese. I have since lost a lot of weight and now weigh 140 pounds which gives me a healthy BMI. My measurements are 36-25-37 which I feel are a bit out of proportion. I still feel very insecure about my weight and still very much struggle to accept that I am not the same person I physically used to be. What I am asking is is 140 pounds still on the chubby side for someone of 5'8? And how do I change the way I perceive my body to see it in a more favourable way? Please no nasty responses!

Your measurements are considered the golden ratio. Your body is fab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HipsDon'tLie.)
    Your measurements are considered the golden ratio. Your body is fab.
    You might be mad

(Original post by SCAR H)
    You might be mad
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    I take it back i cannot read

ReputationRep:
    naw b u piff af

I take it back i cannot read
    What did you think I said?

ReputationRep:
    What did you think I said?
    I thought op said shes 220 lbs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I used to be very overweight as a 5'8 girl I weighed 220 pounds which is classified as obese. I have since lost a lot of weight and now weigh 140 pounds which gives me a healthy BMI. My measurements are 36-25-37 which I feel are a bit out of proportion. I still feel very insecure about my weight and still very much struggle to accept that I am not the same person I physically used to be. What I am asking is is 140 pounds still on the chubby side for someone of 5'8? And how do I change the way I perceive my body to see it in a more favourable way? Please no nasty responses!
    Hey first of all that's a personal decision you have to make, only for yourself, so that you can be truly committed to the goal.
    Secondly ah you're a tall girl and that's good because your weight distributes well all over your body but yes, I'm happy for you that you lost all that weight because you have healthy measurements, if you wish to get toned more and lose some more pounds that's up to you.

I think people that lose so much weight in the process forget to check up on themselves emotionally, because i assume it would be an emotional journey, since changing your self image is a big step, maybe you can't shake of the idea that you're not the weight you used to be, you may still need to get used to your new body because you never gave yourself time to reflect on your progress at every step.

- I think it's psychological and how you're seeing yourself, you perhaps needs to ease yourself back into it, emotionally reflecting on your progress and be proud of how far you have come.
    How did you lose the weight? Was it sudden or slow? Because the more sudden it is the more of a stranger you'd feel to your new body.

- Girl to Girl, i think you should go out and get yourself flattering clothes that you wouldn't have seen yourself wearing before the weight loss, you may not have achieved the 'perfect goal' for yourself but look at how amazing your new body is and enjoy the experience, build your self confidence by writing a list of all the things you love about your new body. This is a slow process but building self esteem is worth it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Impossible to say without seeing pictures. Not in a pervy way (which makes a complete change being me), but everyone carries weight differently due to their skeletal structure and proportions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Impossible to say without seeing pictures. Not in a pervy way (which makes a complete change being me), but everyone carries weight differently due to their skeletal structure and proportions.
    Whats your bench 1rm?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Whats your bench 1rm?
    I literally have no idea mate, haven't benched in ages. At this point I'm benefiting just as much, if not more, from ditching the freeweight bench press variants altogether and sticking with the Hammer Strength press machines. Always had some rotator cuff issues which benching with barbells and dumbbells for over 2 and a half years was aggravating and limiting my pushing strength. Last time I did a dumbbell bench I was pressing 40kg dumbbells for reps, and then dumbbell shoulder pressing a couple of 30kgs and progressing very slowly on both. In the past few months since stopping dumbbell benching my chest has gotten a bit thicker and I'm now shoulder pressing a couple of 40kgs, so my pushing strength in general has shot up and my shoulders are feeling stronger than ever atm.

Of course, I'll always recommend sticking mainly with free weights for at least a couple of years to build a good solid base, but I mostly work with cable machines and unilateral Hammer Strength machines now, making progress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    spooky skeleteon structure??
    2spooky4me

(Original post by Ghaniza)
    Hey first of all that's a personal decision you have to make, only for yourself, so that you can be truly committed to the goal.
    Secondly ah you're a tall girl and that's good because your weight distributes well all over your body but yes, I'm happy for you that you lost all that weight because you have healthy measurements, if you wish to get toned more and lose some more pounds that's up to you.

I think people that lose so much weight in the process forget to check up on themselves emotionally, because i assume it would be an emotional journey, since changing your self image is a big step, maybe you can't shake of the idea that you're not the weight you used to be, you may still need to get used to your new body because you never gave yourself time to reflect on your progress at every step.

- I think it's psychological and how you're seeing yourself, you perhaps needs to ease yourself back into it, emotionally reflecting on your progress and be proud of how far you have come.
    How did you lose the weight? Was it sudden or slow? Because the more sudden it is the more of a stranger you'd feel to your new body.

- Girl to Girl, i think you should go out and get yourself flattering clothes that you wouldn't have seen yourself wearing before the weight loss, you may not have achieved the 'perfect goal' for yourself but look at how amazing your new body is and enjoy the experience, build your self confidence by writing a list of all the things you love about your new body. This is a slow process but building self esteem is worth it.
    Thank you for your response. I lost the weight through diet and exercise over about 8 months. I think you might be right that my problem comes from not actually being able to see the change in my body and that I don't actually know what a healthy figure looks like.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 8, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.