Turn on thread page Beta

Where is music today heading? watch

ReputationRep:
    When I look around and listen to the type of music that's popular today, it frustrates me. Yeah - 'each to their own' and all - but today's music is dire. All of the soul and meaning sucked out of the almost every of song.
    Where have the revolutionary musicians gone?
    The Beatles, John Lennon, Bob Marley, Tupac Shakur etc etc...
    I'm sure they are out there, but they are not reaching the masses for one reason or another.
    These people used music how it should be used, to try and get a message across to the people. It made them 'think outside the box' and challenge authority as we know it. Songs about love and spirituality. Standing up for the oppressed people and vying for peace / to change the world. I know it is a tall order, but I would rather people be listening to that than what they do today! Now all I hear today is lyrics like 'I wanna have shots with somebody, shots, shots, shots.
    I'm all for music that's about having a good time / for entertainment purposes. However, when there hardly and artists / songs that have real meaning, that's when it becomes frustrating.
    Music can potentially be equally as powerful than politics, IN MY OPINION.
    This is why I feel so strongly about this ha ha.
    Anyone agree? Or am I on my own here?

ReputationRep:
    You're not looking hard enough. Tupac Shakur? Really...?

It is not up to us to decide the magnitude of a song's meaning? A songs meaning isn't always represented by its lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of music with deep meanings and there always will be just look at the past. When there was the Smiths and Kate Bush there were songs like safety dance etc. Same with the 90s, the 00s and today. Just have to delve deep enough to find the stuff you like If you were to consider modern revolutionaries then I guess acts like Adele maybe? I mean I'm sure people in 30 years time will look to her as an example of someone with powerful, emotive music and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I knew somebody would question his inclusion. Learn about him before taking him for face value. Look at what the man had to say during his interviews. Very well educated, street wise as well as book smart. A very misunderstood artist as well as human being.

ReputationRep:
    Music can also be powerful via instrumentation too. Also, soul being sucked out of EVERY song is a complete lie. You just have to dig through a lot more to find the gems nowadays as the sheer volume of music put out today blows the generations in the past out of the water.

You are judging all music through pop music. A medium which is no longer representative of all music because of the volume of music released every day. Seriously, it's no longer the dominant force.

Go listen to Birdy - Wings, Gabrielle Aplin - Panic Cord, Nina Nesbitt - Statues.

I personally prefer a mixture of vocals and instrumental, a nice balance. Ah, but I also like songs that are mostly compromised of vocals. Then again, I like songs with nothing but the instruments themselves. Hideously underrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeskeyLAD)
    Music can also be powerful via instrumentation too. Also, soul being sucked out of EVERY song is a complete lie. You just have to dig through a lot more to find the gems nowadays as the sheer volume of music put out today blows the generations in the past out of the water.

You are judging all music through pop music. A medium which is no longer representative of all music because of the volume of music released every day. Seriously, it's no longer the dominant force.

Go listen to Birdy - Wings, Gabrielle Aplin - Panic Cord, Nina Nesbitt - Statues.

I personally prefer a mixture of vocals and instrumental, a nice balance. Ah, but I also like songs that are mostly compromised of vocals. Then again, I like songs with nothing but the instruments themselves. Hideously underrated.
    ALMOST every song I said
    All my point is that to millions of people, 'the charts' and songs with lots of airtime will be their only source of music and all they listen to, because it is considered 'up to date' and easily accessible
    People shouldn't have to delve ha ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgey-10)
    ALMOST every song I said
    All my point is that to millions of people, 'the charts' and songs with lots of airtime will be their only source of music and all they listen to, because it is considered 'up to date' and easily accessible
    People shouldn't have to delve ha ha.
    Apologies, but to be fair pop music isn't as good as it was. I think that 2009 was a really good year for pop music, but I haven't listened to that much radio for the past 2 years.

I also do not consider myself better than someone who does listen to pop music. They are fully free to listen to what they like

ReputationRep:
    This is what real music is.

ReputationRep:
    One pound fish - tune 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeskeyLAD)
    Apologies, but to be fair pop music isn't as good as it was. I think that 2009 was a really good year for pop music, but I haven't listened to that much radio for the past 2 years.

I also do not consider myself better than someone who does listen to pop music. They are fully free to listen to what they like
    Nor do I mate, each to their own. But what I do think is that they must just like the music purely for entertainment purposes, nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amoham)
    One pound fish - tune 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Come on ladies come on ladies
    Spoiler:
    Show
    one pound fisshhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgey-10)
    I knew somebody would question his inclusion. Learn about him before taking him for face value. Look at what the man had to say during his interviews. Very well educated, street wise as well as book smart. A very misunderstood artist as well as human being.
    What somebody says during interviews means absolutely nothing to me. I do not care how intelligent somebody comes across. I take all of that with a pinch of salt. Look at my name. I love hip hop. But I really cannot stand tupac.

ReputationRep:
    Music today has really gone down hill. No meaning at all, alot of songs are about the same thing. Lets go party, smoke weed, shag ect
    My playlist is mostly songs from 90s - 00s

ReputationRep:
    And to OP i will wait for SWISH to come out before answering.

ReputationRep:
    straight for the world trade centre...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    What somebody says during interviews means absolutely nothing to me. I do not care how intelligent somebody comes across. I take all of that with a pinch of salt. Look at my name. I love hip hop. But I really cannot stand tupac.
    Just wondering why you don't like Tupac. And have you seen straight outta compton

ReputationRep:
    Tupac- changes ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    Just wondering why you don't like Tupac. And have you seen straight outta compton
    Lol I have not seen Straight Outta Compton. I don't like how he sounds. I don't like his lyrics. That's pretty much it. I just don't like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    Music today has really gone down hill. No meaning at all, alot of songs are about the same thing. Lets go party, smoke weed, shag ect
    My playlist is mostly songs from 90s - 00s
    I'll just leave this here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTx5sqvVJ4

ReputationRep:
    Those who are saying music has gone down hill? I really disagree. It's just that there are more platforms for artists to achieve recognition. X factor type shows, Youtube, social media. You didn't have that back 20 years ago. Because there is more accessibility, there is a larger amount of sh*t to sift through before you find the good stuff. There is still absolute quality music coming out.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.