The Student Room Group

Is 3 weeks work experience excessive?

I'm considering going into law and am doing 3 weeks work experience at a high street law firm. Is that overkill in terms of work experience, or just enough?
Reply 1
When it comes to work experience, I don't think anything can be considered excessive. It's all good experience and skills that you're gaining.
Reply 2
That seems like a decent duration. If you don't mind me asking, how did you secure the work experience? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it sounds like a decent amount of time, not too long and not too short. But you can only judge if it is worth by what you learn from the experience and gain for your CV in the future.
Reply 4
Original post by Pulse.
That seems like a decent duration. If you don't mind me asking, how did you secure the work experience? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tons of speculative CVs and cover letters. Most will ignore or say they can't accommodate, one or two will actually offer something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not the OP but I got my law firm work exp by emailing the HR department. They didn't reply straight away so my dad called up as he does one of the partners finances and they explained the HR employee was away. Simply emailing works.
Original post by EloiseStar
Not the OP but I got my law firm work exp by emailing the HR department. They didn't reply straight away so my dad called up as he does one of the partners finances and they explained the HR employee was away. Simply emailing works.

Lol, like you got your placement because of an email and not your dad.
Original post by Conzy210
Lol, like you got your placement because of an email and not your dad.

I was trying to spin it positively for the OP
Original post by justag
I'm considering going into law and am doing 3 weeks work experience at a high street law firm. Is that overkill in terms of work experience, or just enough?

I think you've done great! 3 weeks is a really great length - long enough to learn something and for them to get the idea of you. It is not overkill - don't worry about that. Lots of work ex are just a week or less, so 3 weeks is something a little different.
Original post by justag

No such thing, really. There are people out there who might do 4-6 weeks over one summer holiday at a cross-section of City firms. I'm not knocking your experience - it's great experience. If you're aiming for top firms you should keep doing what you're doing and gather experience wherever you can get it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending