Turn on thread page Beta

Gay Rights!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can current gay rights issues be comparable to the civil rights movements of the 1960s? Why or why not?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Why you may ask? I let these images do the talking.

Gay rights rally.

Black rights rally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    Nope. Why you may ask? I let these images do the talking.

Gay rights rally.

Black rights rally.

Conclusion: gay rights rallies are a lot more fun.

But in all seriousness we (the LGBT+ community) face many of the struggles faced by those partaking in the civil rights movement (particularly violence) but on a much smaller scale- and not just because there are less of us. It's also because we're less recognisable in general and there are fewer people who actually get violent towards us (I'm talking about in the UK primarily here, there are many countries where you can actually be executed for being gay.). There are also a lot of things we don't face- such as segregation.
    So, yes, the situation is less grave than it was for those partaking in the civil rights movement, but that doesn't mean it's worth any less. As long as there are members of any group being targeted by hate or violence, any movement by that group is worth getting behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Being gay is a choice. Being black isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rory :))
    And it is a choice how? Are you saying I choose the physical reaction I have to seeing women? I'm like "I'm gonna make myself get all horny and wet right about now because yeah sounds like fun."?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I totally chose to love men... really? Why would I do that when it has caused me untold amounts of grief for the past 11 years?

ReputationRep:
    And OP, you go on and on about LGBTQIA stuff, there's more to life. To answer your question, no, not really.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not so much in the West, but the state of affairs in African countries, the Middle East, and Russia are comparable (if not worse) than what we dealt with >50 years ago... Although I guess this is all highlighted by the recent advances we've made in terms of marriage, adoption etc, and how illogical some of the aforementioned places' policies and methods in dealing with LGBT issues seem to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanAllen)
    Can current gay rights issues be comparable to the civil rights movements of the 1960s? Why or why not?

Personally I don't have much of an awareness of either to be honest, but, anything that discriminates against any human being, whether it be racism, sexism, homophobia is the same and should be treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    The difference is that blacks were discriminated against - they did not have rights which whites did have.

Gay's weren't being discriminated in the same sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorgotron)
    The difference is that blacks were discriminated against - they did not have rights which whites did have.

Blacks were allowed to be identified as such though. It was never "illegal" to be black. Black people could meet other black people for the simple purposes of social interaction without fear of lengthy prison sentences. Blacks were allowed to marry, or even just have sex with one another, without being outcast.

ReputationRep:

Yes, gays were discriminated against more than blacks.

ReputationRep:

I don't believe it's ever been a criminal offense to simply be black

But it has been for member of the LGBT community and still is in some countries

So yes not is the same sense but the LGBT community has it much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    I don't believe it's ever been a criminal offense to simply be black

But it has been for member of the LGBT community and still is in some countries

So yes not is the same sense but the LGBT community has it much worse.
    Not just some countries, about 3 billion people live in countries where being gay is a crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Yes, gays were discriminated against more than blacks.
    How were they discriminated? What legal rights did heterosexuals have that gays did not have?

ReputationRep:
    Why have you made the text in the OP so large and bold? (It actually hurts, and hard not to draw attention in college.) We're fully capable of reading size 12 or 14 text.

On to topic at hand, there are probably many ways they can relate, but just as many ways they can differ.
    I would guess that they were discriminated against differently, being the main thing.

ReputationRep:
    How were they discriminated? What legal rights did heterosexuals have that gays did not have?
    Discrimination isn't limited by the legal aspect of things.

ReputationRep:

Right to marriage is a right opposite-sex people had but same-sex people didn't.

There's one right right there.

Ability to adopt.

There's another.

Need I go on?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I hope you're joking. If not, then I pity your stupidity and ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    not really - black people were segregated out of society through the legal system - gay people just didn't have the right to marry (and some other more minor things) - they've never been segregated out of society

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.