Turn on thread page Beta

Was i being unfair to this ebay buyer, what should i have done? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so ive been selling things on ebay on and off for 10 years and try to be fair but at the same time I try to avoid being scammed. I just wanted your opinion on if i was in the wrong here as ive been left negative feedback and feel annoyed as though the buyer twisted the story a little as i did what i could apart from give her a partial refund.

Basically I sold a brand new item (harry potter boxed action figure set) for £26 on ebay auction plus £12 postage as this is what it cost me to send. The box was big i placed plenty of thick bubble wrap around it to the extent whete i thought it couldnt get damaged. A week after the buyer recieved it she said that it had arrived crushed and that the figure inside the box has slight scratching when held in certain light, she said the damage has affected the item inside.

She said that she was upset but didnt want a full refund and said she didnt know whether i wanted to put s claim in with parcel force. She posted pictures of very crushed box in the corner and showed a picture of the figure inside but i couldnt see any scratch. She said that i should have put it in an external box.

I replied that since she didnt want a full refund (which i would have given) that i will claim with parcel force, i told her this could be a lengthy process. I also offered her a £4 partial refund but she said dhe didnt want this and would have been happier with 50% off. I didnt eant to give her 50% off as the item is selling for around 50 pounds used she slready had a bargain. I wuld rather of just give a full refund but because the buyer wanted to keep it i went through the hassle of filling in claim forms.

So i put a claim in and she emailed me most days saying that she sould have thought she had heard something by now I had to keep tellibg her that parcel force where still deciding, i gave her the tracking number and their contact details. The buyer opened a return request (which gave me a time limit to reply). It gave me 2 options either to fully refund her ir give a partial refund) She had left a message on the return request saying that she hadnt opened it to return the item snd that it was to give me enough time to make the claim. I rang ebay and they advised me to leave a message in the case clarifying ehere in up to with the claim which is what i did.

2 weeks later parcel force decided that i couldnt get compensation to reimburse her as it should have been in an external box (rather than just layered of bubble wrap around the item box).

I told the buyer the decision of parcel force and said my only option is to give her a full refund of else a partial refund of £4. I explained that i couldnt knock more than 4 off as i could resell the item even though the box is damaged and shes opened it. I apologised for the inconvenience it caused her.

Sheopened a case yesterday with ebay and they decided to refund her (they said i didnt reply to the case but i did i left amessage which is what ebay told me to do on the phone). The refubd is fine its what i wanted really but its what she said and the fact she has given me negative feedback that annoys me. She put this on the case.

'' I completed the documentation that the seller requested to claim with the courier as he felt it was their fault. I do agree with them though that should the item have been sent in a box, it would have arrived without damage so was the fault of how it was packaged. I am upset as the item was bought for my 7 year old and, although damaged, it can still be used, albeit not in new condition and arriving scratched, it would have been nice for the seller to have accepted that this damage was due to the packaging and offer a decent refund for what has happened.''

I never actually said it was parcel forces fault and i offered her a full refund right from the beginning but she didnt want one and encouraged me to claim with parcel force :/. When she says it would have been nice if id offered a decent refund it means she wanted a 50 percent partial refund or the item for cheaper.

Am I being tight or was she expecting too much Im still waiting for her to return the item which she will have opened.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, ive typed loads haha. No one will probably read it now exp since its about ebay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfrost)
    Ok so ive been selling things on ebay on and off for 10 years and try to be fair but at the same time I try to avoid being scammed. I just wanted your opinion on if i was in the wrong here as ive been left negative feedback and feel annoyed as though the buyer twisted the story a little as i did what i could apart from give her a partial refund.

Basically I sold a brand new item (harry potter boxed action figure set) for £26 on ebay auction plus £12 postage as this is what it cost me to send. The box was big i placed plenty of thick bubble wrap around it to the extent whete i thought it couldnt get damaged. A week after the buyer recieved it she said that it had arrived crushed and that the figure inside the box has slight scratching when held in certain light, she said the damage has affected the item inside.

She said that she was upset but didnt want a full refund and said she didnt know whether i wanted to put s claim in with parcel force. She posted pictures of very crushed box in the corner and showed a picture of the figure inside but i couldnt see any scratch. She said that i should have put it in an external box.

I replied that since she didnt want a full refund (which i would have given) that i will claim with parcel force, i told her this could be a lengthy process. I also offered her a £4 partial refund but she said dhe didnt want this and would have been happier with 50% off. I didnt eant to give her 50% off as the item is selling for around 50 pounds used she slready had a bargain. I wuld rather of just give a full refund but because the buyer wanted to keep it i went through the hassle of filling in claim forms.

So i put a claim in and she emailed me most days saying that she sould have thought she had heard something by now I had to keep tellibg her that parcel force where still deciding, i gave her the tracking number and their contact details. The buyer opened a return request (which gave me a time limit to reply). It gave me 2 options either to fully refund her ir give a partial refund) She had left a message on the return request saying that she hadnt opened it to return the item snd that it was to give me enough time to make the claim. I rang ebay and they advised me to leave a message in the case clarifying ehere in up to with the claim which is what i did.

2 weeks later parcel force decided that i couldnt get compensation to reimburse her as it should have been in an external box (rather than just layered of bubble wrap around the item box).

I told the buyer the decision of parcel force and said my only option is to give her a full refund of else a partial refund of £4. I explained that i couldnt knock more than 4 off as i could resell the item even though the box is damaged and shes opened it. I apologised for the inconvenience it caused her.

Sheopened a case yesterday with ebay and they decided to refund her (they said i didnt reply to the case but i did i left amessage which is what ebay told me to do on the phone). The refubd is fine its what i wanted really but its what she said and the fact she has given me negative feedback that annoys me. She put this on the case.

'' I completed the documentation that the seller requested to claim with the courier as he felt it was their fault. I do agree with them though that should the item have been sent in a box, it would have arrived without damage so was the fault of how it was packaged. I am upset as the item was bought for my 7 year old and, although damaged, it can still be used, albeit not in new condition and arriving scratched, it would have been nice for the seller to have accepted that this damage was due to the packaging and offer a decent refund for what has happened.''

I never actually said it was parcel forces fault and i offered her a full refund right from the beginning but she didnt want one and encouraged me to claim with parcel force :/. When she says it would have been nice if id offered a decent refund it means she wanted a 50 percent partial refund or the item for cheaper.

Am I being tight or was she expecting too much Im still waiting for her to return the item which she will have opened.
    You aren't being tight at all, i used to sell lot's of things on eBay, but i started to get "scammed" all the time by people opening cases on me because of silly things/or saying the package hadn't been delivered when it had (i had them tracked). But whenever i replied to cases on eBay, they did the exact same thing to me. You were being completely fair in offering the partial refund, some people just love creating drama

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley Williams)
    You aren't being tight at all, i used to sell lot's of things on eBay, but i started to get "scammed" all the time by people opening cases on me because of silly things/or saying the package hadn't been delivered when it had (i had them tracked). But whenever i replied to cases on eBay, they did the exact same thing to me. You were being completely fair in offering the partial refund, some people just love creating drama
    I offered a full refund, partial refund Of £4 and i claimed with parcel force. The thing she really wanted was a 50% partial refund.

ReputationRep:
    You only wrapped it in bubble wrap?
    I think you should have put it in a box. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppacoffee)
    You only wrapped it in bubble wrap?
    I think you should have put it in a box. :s
    It was that thick bubble wrap with large tough bubble and i put a good 7 layers round so it was 3 inches thick all the way round thats why i thought it would be protected. Looking back i should have put it in a box but I dont know for absolute sure the buyer wasnt playing on this and is posting pics of a different box. I choose to believe her though as she has all pos feedback. Its But yea i offered a full refund from the start she didnt want one, just a partial regund of 50% which i wasnt willing to give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redfrost)
    It was that thick bubble wrap with large tough bubble and i put a good 7 layers round so it was 3 inches thick all the way round thats why i thought it would be protected. Looking back i should have put it in a box but I dont know for absolute sure the buyer wasnt playing on this and is posting pics of a different box. I choose to believe her though as she has all pos feedback. Its But yea i offered a full refund from the start she didnt want one, just a partial regund of 50% which i wasnt willing to give.
    It's a difficult situation. I only have one item on ebay
    mAJORAS MASSSSKKK HAHAHAHAH
    I have;t sold it yet but if you want to buy it from me plz bid £10 because I made the price too low and I'm not getting bids

ReputationRep:
    I would have offered the 50% refund and learnt from the mistake. Even if she is lying, you know to properly package the product so things like this can't happen again.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.