Onlyheretoask
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello all!
I would value your help on this, Im interested in the legal procedures required in starting up a hedge fund, more specifically a 'investment fund' whereby people within my network seek to invest for a defined time period, agreeing on a defined management & performance fee. How should one go about the legal requirements of managing others money. (This is a UK context)
AGT95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Take a trip to an investment bank, or a firm of corporate solicitors. This is not the place to get free legal advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Agree with above, but I will make one point.

If you are a carrying on an activity that falls within Schedule 2 FSMA 2000, and you are carrying it on 'by way of business', then you must be authorised to do so, otherwise you commit a criminal offence - s 23 FSMA 2000 . It is also an offence to promote such activity if you are not authorised - s 21/s 25 FSMA 2000. You may want to seek legal advice as to whether what you are planning to do would be treated as 'by way of business' (in which case, you probably won't be able to do it, as the sort of person who asks legal questions on a student forum is not the sort of person who is likely to be authorised by the FCA!). You may also want to seek advice whether you are planning to carry on a regulated activity, but I suspect the answer will be 'yes', as the Schedule is quite wide-ranging.
Onlyheretoask
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
Agree with above, but I will make one point.

If you are a carrying on an activity that falls within Schedule 2 FSMA 2000, and you are carrying it on 'by way of business', then you must be authorised to do so, otherwise you commit a criminal offence - s 23 FSMA 2000 . It is also an offence to promote such activity if you are not authorised - s 21/s 25 FSMA 2000. You may want to seek legal advice as to whether what you are planning to do would be treated as 'by way of business' (in which case, you probably won't be able to do it, as the sort of person who asks legal questions on a student forum is not the sort of person who is likely to be authorised by the FCA!). You may also want to seek advice whether you are planning to carry on a regulated activity, but I suspect the answer will be 'yes', as the Schedule is quite wide-ranging.
I could be a recruiter from Pearson Spectre however, I think you're the type of person who avoids searching for magic circle law jobs on forums
Thank you for your help! Very much appreciated. Was just asked purely out of interest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads