NI elections: Will you be voting?

Watch
Have Your Say
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Voters in Northern Ireland go to the polls on 7 March to vote in assembly elections.

The Stormont Assembly was suspended in October 2002 over allegations of a republican spy ring, and direct rule from London was restored.

The UK government set a deadline of 26 March 2007 for politicians to resolve their differences over policing and power-sharing.

Who will you be voting for in the upcoming elections? What issues matter most to you? What outcome do you hope to see from the elections? Will they lead to restored devolved power for Northern Ireland? Send us your comments.
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm from Northern Ireland, and no, I wont be voting.
It makes no difference anyway, this place is a dump and will never change. Cant wait to leave.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I won't, I'm not Northern Irish.

I certainly don't envy the "choice" given to them. Their politicians are even bigger tossers than the mainland ones.
latot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh God.. politics in NI is as hard as traditional Chinese.. I for one certainly won't be voting... although mainly 'cos I'm in Bonnie Scotland atm :P
Gryffprefect
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was made to register to vote but I probably wont be voting. Sure I wouldnt know who to vote for anyway since all the politicians here are a complete bunch of idiots. Truthfully, I think the assembly should of remained suspended since they obviously dont know how to run this country. Goodness knows I cant wait to move away from here and go to uni.
db
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by eleanora_ebonite)
I'm 17 so I can't vote yet. Oh well :rolleyes:

I'd probably vote for the Alliance party or the Green party.
Seems to be where the majority of the secular/indifferent/tactical votes go...
abc88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My mum made me register to vote but at the moment I don't see the point in voting. I don't agree with most of the politicians in Northern Ireland and feel that they are only trying to continue a past that should be left well alone. However, if i do end up voting it will prob be for someone like the Alliance Party or the Green Party as a previous poster said.
tbtommyb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's a legal requirement to register, but you don't have to vote. I will vote, for two reasons:

1) A lot of people went through a lot of pain to get a vote, so I think I should use it. Democracy and all that.

2) My mum said something about politics in Northern Ireland, which I think is very true: it's not about voting in who you want, but keeping out who you don't want. Since the hardline unionists/nationalists will probably all vote for DUP/SF (both of whom I hate), then I will vote in the hope of keeping one of them out.

I'll probably vote Alliance, then UUP, SDLP, and Greens. I don't really care who gets in as long as it isn't Martin McGuinness or Ian Paisley. I can't stand either of them. Strangely, I dislike Paisley more than McGuinness, who used to be in the IRA, which is a bad thing to be in. The DUP are in favour of the 11+, which is the only thing I like about them. I hate their religiousness.
db
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by burntgorilla)
2) My mum said something about politics in Northern Ireland, which I think is very true: it's not about voting in who you want, but keeping out who you don't want. Since the hardline unionists/nationalists will probably all vote for DUP/SF (both of whom I hate), then I will vote in the hope of keeping one of them out.
still won't make a difference though.
tbtommyb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by db)
still won't make a difference though.
Probably not. But your attitude definitely won't. If you don't want a party to get into power then you have to vote, instead of doing nothing.
db
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I do vote, and like you I vote 'tactically'. We wouldn't have to have this conversation if it worked the way you hope it does.

I wasn't aware your vote carried more favour than anyone elses...
db
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're right, they probably do have a slighlty better chance than usual. However, I wouldn't really want to get my hopes up, NI elections make me despair most years to be honest.
abc88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Although the smaller parties have a slightly better chance this year I do not think it will make much difference. The big Unionist and Nationalist parties will still gain the majority of the votes.

Also, if everyone thought that their vote wouldn't make a difference then no-one would vote for the moderate parties. I don't believe that my one vote will make a major difference in the elections but it will make me feel better that it is one less vote for the Unionists and Nationalists.
db
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by abc88)
Also, if everyone thought that their vote wouldn't make a difference then no-one would vote for the moderate parties. I don't believe that my one vote will make a major difference in the elections but it will make me feel better that it is one less vote for the Unionists and Nationalists.
Not voting has the same affect though. Sadly.

I actually think it's a shame that you are made to feel like your vote doesn't matter in anyway.
abc88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know my vote matters but I was trying to say that I don't think my one vote will make the Alliance party the most popular in the country. However by voting I will at least feel like I am doing something as opposed to not voting. Sorry if I am not explaining myself right.
tbtommyb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by db)
I do vote, and like you I vote 'tactically'. We wouldn't have to have this conversation if it worked the way you hope it does.
Sorry, I didn't know you voted.
(Original post by db)
I wasn't aware your vote carried more favour than anyone elses...
I didn't say it did...
db
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by abc88)
I know my vote matters but I was trying to say that I don't think my one vote will make the Alliance party the most popular in the country. However by voting I will at least feel like I am doing something as opposed to not voting. Sorry if I am not explaining myself right.
I'm in the position where I feel voting doesn't really matter any more. All that seems to matter is that as long as a vote doesn't go to an extremist it's all good. There's two ways of doing that: Votig Alliance/Green/Independent or not voting at all.
abc88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by eleanora_ebonite)
But by not voting at all, Sinn Fein/the DUP will get more seats than Alliance/Green etc.

I know Sinn Fein/the DUP will probably get the majority of votes, but at least if the moderates get a significant increase it will show that people's attitudes here are changing. (Or so I think anyway )
I agree. The most important thing is to show that people's attitudes are changing. Even if it is just a small change it is better than nothing.
tbtommyb
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not sure that people's attitudes are changing though. That said, we had some politicians come into school for a discussion. Everyone ended up hating the DUP guy, Paul Given (I think). The Sinn Fein member didn't turn up but I doubt he'd have been popular either.
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is there any website in particular where you can get a break down of what each party are willing to do for us, so that I can give a more educated vote?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (272)
56.43%
I don't have everything I need (210)
43.57%

Watched Threads