The Student Room Group

Econ or Econ-Maths ?

Hi

I'm currently going into my 3rd year out of 4 in my BA Econ at a mid-rank university. Within the next two weeks is my deadline to change degree programme.

I changed from Econ/Maths degree to single honours Economics last year, but have since had some doubt of whether it is the right decision.

The work load is much higher on the joint degree due to the structure and time commitment in the maths modules and I would not have the possibility of taking electives in Economics. My core modules in joint-degree consists of macro, micro, a course in econometrics and one in economic policy in the UK. On the other hand, all maths modules are electives. Meaning I could get stochastic processes, real analysis etc.

On the single honours, I would get to take financial and monetary economics, but there are no additional econometrics/maths modules as my university only does BA Econ.

My concern is also the grades. I'm 99% sure I can get a 1st in single honours economics, but the math modules are said to get harder and I would most likely get a 2:1 or a very weak 1st.

After I've graduated I want to work in industry for at least a year or two and then go into an MSc or MPhil (preferably at Oxford, Cambridge, Durham or Warwick)... and maybe even an industrial PhD (for example at Bank of England). I would like to work with macro economics, preferably with either fiscal or monetary policy. Not at a university, though.

What are your thoughts? Stick to Economics or go back to the joint degree, based on grades and my ideas about what I want to do?

Thank you so much !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending