Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I start York uni in September and I am in Derwent college and I was thinking about taking a TV and games console.. It will only be a small TV and I won't use it much, just to go on my games console when I get bored. The only other thing bothering me is that I am in a twin room so I don't know what the other person will think about me having a TV and games console. I was wondering how many people take TVs to uni with them? Also if I took a games console would I be able to connect it to the internet?

ReputationRep:
    I mean there is internet in every room, and I think ethernet ports so you can connect that way. Bear in mind there are games consoles in the Derwent common room (if I remember correctly). Additionally, you'll need a TV licence if you want to watch TV on the television you bring.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people don't take TVs, but it's by no means uncommon to take one. Ultimately I'd say don't worry about your roommate too much - just be considerate and don't use it late at night and such. I really liked having my TV with me - I just used it for netflix and never once busted out my consoles all year, but it's just a nice thing that makes you feel a little bit less like you're staying at a travelodge.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bringing my Wii U to university. My thinking is I can play some Mario Kart with some fellow Freshers and bond through it, haha .

Might even set it up in my house's lounge and play 8-player Super Smash Bros. with everyone. So I'm hopefully using it as a tool to make friends early.

So maybe your neighbour might hit it off and play your console with you from time to time! But I know not everyone is into video games
    Edit: Didn't realise this was the York boards, I'm going to Bournemouth but the advice is still helpful, i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimistic_Owl)
    I'm bringing my Wii U to university. My thinking is I can play some Mario Kart with some fellow Freshers and bond through it, haha .

Might even set it up in my house's lounge and play 8-player Super Smash Bros. with everyone. So I'm hopefully using it as a tool to make friends early.

So maybe your neighbour might hit it off and play your console with you from time to time! But I know not everyone is into video games
    Edit: Didn't realise this was the York boards, I'm going to Bournemouth but the advice is still helpful, i think
    Oh for ****s sake, you should've said you were going to Bournemouth... hahaha

University open days

1. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of York
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sun, 16 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.