Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Corbyn’s energy policy is no 80s throwback... watch

ReputationRep:
    ... more present-day Germany than 1980s Britain.

https://theconversation.com/four-rea...hrowback-46707

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Its highly doubtful he would implement it correctly and would involve nationalization. In Germany it is government backed and aided co-operatives, hoi system is much more about government controlled companies competing which would have huge subsidies and make the while industry un-competitive and cost us even more.

ReputationRep:
    It does not mattet weather or not you support jeremy corbyn. We live in a democracy right? Should the goverment and media choose our leaders for us. Just because the pubic support somone not popular in power doesnt mean that oppositions throw their toys out of the pram. They should respect the publics rihht to support who they want. That is what democracy is all about.

ReputationRep:

That's not an argument to support the policy given that energy prices in London are lower than Berlin..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velixie)
    It does not mattet weather or not you support jeremy corbyn. We live in a democracy right? Should the goverment and media choose our leaders for us. Just because the pubic support somone not popular in power doesnt mean that oppositions throw their toys out of the pram. They should respect the publics rihht to support who they want. That is what democracy is all about.
    What has this got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:

Of course, you mean 1980's Labour, not 1980's Britain, as the party never won an election on that policy idea.

My first problem with the policy is how it will be funded. If he will simply buy the energy companies, it will cost somewhere between £120bn and £180bn; assuming he cannot fund this properly (this is only one of his spending plans and has only identified the tax gap as a source of extra income, though this will not generate huge amounts of money), he'll pile on debt despite having said he wanted to bring down the deficit and debt. All the while there's evidence our energy prices in our country are pretty good. If, however, he will nationalise them without compensation, what will that tell business and the rest of the world? A country whose government seizes assets at its own will is certainly not one I'd be happy living in, though the proponents of such an idea would never actually get near Downing Street.

ReputationRep:
    First off, nice idea but renationalisation of UK energy will never happen. Most of the UK energy companies are actually owned by German, French, Spanish and Italian companies, in which their respective governments have a vested interest i.e. controlling shares etc. The UK Govt would not be able fund renationalisation and, even if it could, it would decimate the European energy markets. Secondly, the US market has lead to almost energy self-sufficiency with renewables and fracking and one would expect the costs to consumers to reduce. However, US consumer energy costs are actually increasing as renewable energy displaces 'centralised' energy provision. The US energy transmission and local distribution companies are increasing their costs (pass-through to consumers) as it becomes increasingly difficult to plan and manage their centralised energy systems.... Smarter Grids are the way to go however in the UK, that will be a fundamental (and costly) change to energy provision... then there is the issue of UK consumers bills being inflated by cross-subsidies for renewables, green taxes and various energy efficiency schemes. Long term, there is only one way that Global energy prices will go and that is up.... anyways, enough said ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Who knows ?? ;-)
    (Original post by L i b)
    What has this got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    He lost me at reopening the mines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    He wants to what!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    He wants to what!
    You heard me - he wants to reopen the pissing mines.

As a result of that the mans a joke with 0 credibility on the environment.

ReputationRep:
    Well that isn't going to happen, not in our lifetime... although Germany and China have designed Power Station technology to burn coal more cleanly and efficiently - just as well for Germany given it now has zero nuclear power generation and renewables cannot plug the gap (yet).

You heard me - he wants to reopen the pissing mines.

As a result of that the mans a joke with 0 credibility on the environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevePownall)
    Well that isn't going to happen, not in our lifetime... although Germany and China have designed Power Station technology to burn coal more cleanly and efficiently - just as well for Germany given it now has zero nuclear power generation and renewables cannot plug the gap (yet).
    My point wasn't whether it would happen, it was the fact it makes anything the man says on the environment a total joke.

ReputationRep:
    Throwback is no insult in itself anyway. As though anything from the past can't make sense. All changes made were inherently the right ones, is the corollary of this smear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Throwback is no insult in itself anyway. As though anything from the past can't make sense. All changes made were inherently the right ones, is the corollary of this smear.
    It's a throwback to Labour in the 1980's when it won exactly zero elections. You're right, the past is not necessarily worse than the present or future, but in this case it is.

Out of interest, how do you think the programme should be funded? Do you think the government should take these industries on with debt, or should it simply take control of them without compensation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    It's a throwback to Labour in the 1980's when it won exactly zero elections. You're right, the past is not necessarily worse than the present or future, but in this case it is.

Out of interest, how do you think the programme should be funded? Do you think the government should take these industries on with debt, or should it simply take control of them without compensation?
    Irrelevant. Not the point I was making.

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant. Not the point I was making.
    What's irrelevant? I made two points; one a response to your assertion that a throwback is not necessarily a bad thing, the other a question about how the programme will be funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    What's irrelevant? I made two points; one a response to your assertion that a throwback is not necessarily a bad thing, the other a question about how the programme will be funded.
    I wasn't giving a view on specific policies, I was making the point that the term 'throwback' as opposed to, for example, 'progressive' is taken inherently to be derogatory, regardless of the objective worth of the policy it is attached to. It's merely a smear; as I have described, anyone who isn't part of establishment consensus will always suffer them.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't giving a view on specific policies, I was making the point , that the term 'throwback' as opposed to, for example, 'progressive' is taken inherently to be derogatory, regardless of the objective worth of the policy it is attached to. It's merely a smear; as I have described, anyone who isn't part of establishment consensus will always suffer them.
    Yup, this fairly limited point is something I agreed with in the first place but it's quite a pointless one to make when this throwback certainly was bad, unless you think it's good for a party to lose elections...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    He doesn't really, he said he would when they are economical again, i.e. never.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.