Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am in a pickle as I don't know if my choices are deemed as good as my parents have always put a strong emphasis on uni. I am considering applying to Exeter, Surrey, York, Sheffield and UEA or Durham instead of Sheffield. I am hoping to do Law and hoping for D*D*D* in my BTEC in Business, so can anyone suggest any other places as I am sooo stuck?!

ReputationRep:
    those are all very renowned universities, so don't panic about that.

Besides, it should be more about where *you* feel comfortable, and where you want to go. There's no point in going to a 'prestigious' university or being told by your parents where you should go, if you're not happy with the course you're applying for, the setup of the university, the location, and student life.
    What matters the most is whether you'll enjoy the university and the course enough and have the right kind of teaching so that you will come out with the best result possible. Lots of people do very well at the smaller universities and come out with fantastic jobs at the end of it because they've made the most of their life there, compared to some who come out of the better known universities where they haven't got as high grades as some, and they haven't made the most of the opportunities that they might have been provided with.

Either way, don't make the mistake I did applying for a university course which you weren't really interested in, at a top place. Luckily I ended up changing to something I did want to do and will be starting in September, but please please apply for what you want to do and to universities which you think you would really enjoy and benefit the most at. Sorry if that comes across as accusatory, and it might well not be the case, but I've seen it happen so often!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImmyisasImmydoes)
    those are all very renowned universities, so don't panic about that.

Besides, it should be more about where *you* feel comfortable, and where you want to go. There's no point in going to a 'prestigious' university or being told by your parents where you should go, if you're not happy with the course you're applying for, the setup of the university, the location, and student life.
    What matters the most is whether you'll enjoy the university and the course enough and have the right kind of teaching so that you will come out with the best result possible. Lots of people do very well at the smaller universities and come out with fantastic jobs at the end of it because they've made the most of their life there, compared to some who come out of the better known universities where they haven't got as high grades as some, and they haven't made the most of the opportunities that they might have been provided with.

Either way, don't make the mistake I did applying for a university course which you weren't really interested in, at a top place. Luckily I ended up changing to something I did want to do and will be starting in September, but please please apply for what you want to do and to universities which you think you would really enjoy and benefit the most at. Sorry if that comes across as accusatory, and it might well not be the case, but I've seen it happen so often!
    Ok, That's such a fair point! I didn't put that into perspective much. Where did you initially go for what course, and what are you changing to this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemma_0897)
    Ok, That's such a fair point! I didn't put that into perspective much. Where did you initially go for what course, and what are you changing to this time?
    Veterinary Medicine at the RVC, and I've changed to Philosophy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.