Turn on thread page Beta

Think I made a mistake joining The Motorway watch

ReputationRep:
    This morning I were driving to my Gran's, Guy trying to merge with my on my side of the road left it late, I checked my mirrors and it were safe to merge, however I drove over the Solid white marked Chevrons by a couple of feet, dad reckons unless I were seen by a copper and pulled (I weren't) which their didn't appear to be any around I should be fine and to take it as a lesson learnt. What is the likely hood of an NIP coming through the post or should I learn from it and move on and not worry?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to worry about
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Road markings in general are guidelines rather than rules (with some exceptions, e.g. the solid white line at traffic lights). Your manoeuvre did not cause an accident, so you needn't worry. It was a minor mistake and there's very little chance you'd be prosecuted even if there was a police officer present. As time goes on you'll no doubt see much worse drivers out on the roads.

ReputationRep:
    That's a great help cheers, only had the car 5 + days and so I'm fretting over the smallest of mistakes at the minute until I get more confident, I'll hold my hands up and say I shouldn't have done it but as I didn't cause anyone to brake harshly (no one there too) then I'll treat it as a live and learn from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Road markings in general are guidelines rather than rules (with some exceptions, e.g. the solid white line at traffic lights).
    I beg to differ. Other road markings that are solid are also legal requirements, for example, contravening double white lines, which is an endorsable offence.

The hatch markings on a motorway slip road must not be crossed as these are bounded by a solid white line. Failure to comply is an offence under section 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

OP's dad is correct. If a police officer had observed the offence, he would have been within his right to pull you over and have a word or give you a fixed penalty. That said, if you didn't get pulled, then you've got away with it this time, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Consider it a lesson learned and keep well away from solid lines next time.

From the scenario given, I'm assuming that OP swung into lane 1 too soon at too steep an angle? A common error, all because people are afraid to use the whole slip road length to gather speed. That's what it's there for! The longer you stay on the slip road, the more speed you can gain and the longer you have to judge and slot into a gap. If you don't make the first gap, you still have time to slot into another, so take your time and don't dash across solid lines at a steep angle.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.