Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I need advice on what to research for my job interview later on in the week. It has taken me a while but I've landed a job interview which has been the first interview I've been invited to attend which has something to do with my chemistry degree.

It's for a 'Level 1 Scientist' job for a water company.

I plan to research the company, as well as the chemistry techniques I used at uni (which was 2 years ago now since I graduated) in preparation for the interview.

In the invitational email I received it said, "
    The interviews will be competency based with a few technical questions and should last for about one hour followed by a tour of the lab."

What sort of questions are competancy questions and is there anything else you would recommend for me to research for my first based science interview?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Make sure you know exactly what the company does and what the job is about. It's a good idea to research the top management and their careers and company strategy. Companies tend to have info about company culture and what it's like to work there on their websites too. Make sure you know what you studied at uni and can talk about your project and how your skills relate to the job. Competency based interviews are usually about transferable skills so you'll be asked to describe a situation in which you've had to use initiative or work as part of a team or deal with a difficult situation etc. Look up the STAR approach to answering such questions: Situation, Task, Action, Result and focus on what YOU and WE did. Make sure you have a list of questions to ask after the interview and during the tour and remember that you are being watched at all times. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at some guides to answering competency questions, like https://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/compe...ased-questions
    Make sure that you identify positive examples as much as possible - something where you did get the result - and separate your individual effort and results from the team effort and results. There are some questions you're almost guaranteed to be asked - dealing with failure, working as a team, working to a deadline etc. so have answers to these prepared!

For the rest of your research, look over all the company's information on their website, and outside it if you can. There's no excuse for being surprised by "we have been around for oer 50 years" or similar statements if you can find them on the company's own website!! Look at the job profile and make sure you understand all the terms used in it and can explain what you expect to be doing in the role. They won't want you to know 100% how every minute of your day will be spent, but if your expectations are wildly different to reality, no matter how competent you are to do the role, you won't get it.

Finally, be positive and friendly. Don't just sit in your seat like a statue, engage with the interviewer(s), smile lots and show them that you're a normal, likeable person. Being nervous is normal and fine, but don't let it turn you into a characterless cutout of a person!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.