Turn on thread page Beta

Why is TSR OBSESSED with Islam? watch

ReputationRep:
    Non-muslim here, just interested as to why there is an apparent obsession with Islam on this board? With most Islam related threads leading to anti-islamic sentiments...

ReputationRep:
    Well, people tend to feel more confident and candid behind a screen and many people harbor Islamophobia, they just don't say it in real life bc they don't wanna be called racist.
    Also, with all the terrible things going on with ISIS at the moment, people who aren't educated on Islam are blaming that on Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmprin)
    Non-muslim here, just interested as to why there is an apparent obsession with Islam on this board? With most Islam related threads leading to anti-islamic sentiments...
    It reflects the views a significant portion of the population holds on Islam. Most people don't say it irl because of the fear of being called racist.

Tsr is a place to discuss current affairs. Current affairs involve ISIS and the migrant crisis. Discussion of Islam is a tangent of this imo.

ReputationRep:
    Because they love it so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because Sharia Law will be present in the UK very soon, so why not educate ourselves about Islam now not to waste time?

ReputationRep:
    TSR attacts people into academics and thus have people who are more likely to have higher education and strong opinions. They are also more capable of seeing past the destructive 'everything is ok' BS of the left and dont, as school brainwashing has done associate anti islamic opinion as a radical one.

ReputationRep:
    People like to slander things they fear I guess, although I'm not sure why people are afraid of Islam tbh. Guessing it's just a phase and they'll all move onto something else to complain about in a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    An opportunity for the losers on here to show their 'Supreme-Intellect' prior to starting their Gender and Media Studies courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlindingLight)
    An opportunity for the losers on here to show their 'Supreme-Intellect' prior to starting their Gender and Media Studies courses.
    loool behave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SIDEWlNDER)
    People like to slander things they fear I guess, although I'm not sure why people are afraid of Islam tbh. Guessing it's just a phase and they'll all move onto something else to complain about in a few weeks.
    I hope so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brennanlee)
    Well, people tend to feel more confident and candid behind a screen and many people harbor Islamophobia, they just don't say it in real life bc they don't wanna be called racist.
    Also, with all the terrible things going on with ISIS at the moment, people who aren't educated on Islam are blaming that on Muslims.
    "Islamophobia" is an awful word. Being critical of a backward, medieval ideology is a medical condition now?

(Original post by Zargabaath)
    It reflects the views a significant portion of the population holds on Islam. Most people don't say it irl because of the fear of being called racist.
    This. A justifiable fear.

ReputationRep:

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religiou...mt.php#003.151
    "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers!"

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religiou...mt.php#008.012
    "Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/religiou...mt.php#004.034
    "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all). "

Yeah, I wonder why people fear Islam? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers!"

"Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all). "

There is definitely comparable nonsense in the bible.

ReputationRep:
    But Christian theology now rejects much of the Bible, as do most Christians.

There are comparably fewer Muslims rejecting parts of the Qur'an (and acknowledging that they are doing so), and even less an establish Islamic theology that rejects parts of the Qur'an as a matter of its doctrine; those that do, (Submitters, Ahmadiyaa, etc) are labelled as heretics and harshly persecuted (just as reforming sects were during the Middle Ages in Christendom).

ReputationRep:

if you're going to take a literal view of religious texts then of course you're going to find bad things, same with Christianity and almost any other religion :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because Islam seemingly has the most to discuss about.

ReputationRep:
    Very true, but we aren't talking about Christianity. But since you bought it up, on average it's pretty evident that Christians don't take their religion as seriously as Muslims any more, everyone else has moved forward with the times. Point me to 3 active Christian terror groups that cause misery, destruction and death comparable to ISIS, Al-Qaeda or the Taliban.

ReputationRep:
    Because this site is made up in large part by sixth formers looking to get into Uni. These aren't professionals who work in the policy industry nor do they have any expert understanding of the things they are trying to critique. They are basically expressing their lay opinions. This they are perfectly entitled to do and makes for an interesting sample of British public opinion.

ReputationRep:
    if you're going to take a literal view of religious texts then of course you're going to find bad things, same with Christianity and almost any other religion :rolleyes:
    But the Qur'an is the infallible word of God. How can such a perfect, divine text be misinterpreted so significantly?

I'm willing to hear what Allah and Mo really meant in the verses I provided, because it seems pretty clear to me.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.