Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am enamoured of the HSPS course at Cambridge but I'm very unsure of whether I should even bother applying.
    I've received my AS results: 97.5% in Government and Politics (A), 97% in Sociology (B), 86% in Psychology (A) and 78% in Drama (B - which I will be dropping).
    As you can see my results are okay but foolishly as I was not well informed I didn't pick any facilitating subjects so for Cambridge this is very unattractive. HSPS however doesn't have any "required subjects".
    Also I changed schools when I went to sixth form and my previous school was extremely poor academically. This meant I only got a mix of Bs and As with one A*, again a factor against me if applying to Cambridge.

So I'm asking based on that whether I should hinge any hopes on applying? And whether anyone knows of certain colleges being more lenient on your subject choices and GCSE grades? The colleges I like most are Kings and Churchill.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Why not ask the colleges you are interested in how they would regard your AS choices? They can give you much more direct help. You have a good UMS average in your top three subjects, so that would stand you in good stead. As far as I know, no college or course takes a particularly different view of subject choices or GCSE grades as they tend to look at the whole package (and in a lot of detail). If you apply, you will have to fill in an SAQ which asks you to give details of results across all course modules among other things. You also have the opportunity to add anything supplementary to your personal statement.

I'd check at the horse's mouth. All the admissions folk are extremely helpful. There's a Peterhouse thread up at the moment and they would be able to give you some basic advice I would think. At least then you'd have some concrete information to work on.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what I'm going through at the moment, I've done the same A-levels as you except for Drama and I would love to do this course but I'm worried for the same reasons. Let me know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahei)
    Why not ask the colleges you are interested in how they would regard your AS choices? They can give you much more direct help. You have a good UMS average in your top three subjects, so that would stand you in good stead. As far as I know, no college or course takes a particularly different view of subject choices or GCSE grades as they tend to look at the whole package (and in a lot of detail). If you apply, you will have to fill in an SAQ which asks you to give details of results across all course modules among other things. You also have the opportunity to add anything supplementary to your personal statement.

I'd check at the horse's mouth. All the admissions folk are extremely helpful. There's a Peterhouse thread up at the moment and they would be able to give you some basic advice I would think. At least then you'd have some concrete information to work on.
    I have took your advice and asked Peterhouse they said I should definitely give it a shot. I have also emailed all the admissions teams in each college as well now.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stayg0ld)
    I have took your advice and asked Peterhouse they said I should definitely give it a shot. I have also emailed all the admissions teams in each college as well now.
    Thank you so much!
    You're welcome Keep in mind that they want people to apply. The process is rigorous for sure, but the whole point is to make sure they don't miss out on good people if they can avoid it. Of course, they can only make those choices if you apply in the first place.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.