Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am at a complete standstill. I have no idea how to even start my ps, I don't have any relevant experience or anything to make me stand out, and I cant even pinpoint why I want to do criminology exactly. it sort of just grew on me- and that doesn't sound very impressive. I haven't got any solid plans for the future, just a couple of general ideas. I need help! icant even think of an interesting opening line. what should I doo??? should I use quotes? and if so what quotes???? ahhh please help me

ReputationRep:
    This is the advice I was given at college; not sure if it is 100% accurate and the "absolute must" way of writing a PS, but at least it might give you a starting point to reflect and work with:

Opening Section:
    - Inc insightful reasons for choosing the subject/why you want to do the course
    - Demonstrate commitment to the subject

Middle Section:
    - Opportunity to identify yourself as a reflective & mature individual.
    - Discuss what skills, knowledge and attitudes you have
    - Any prior experience, this does not have to be entirely work experience related, it could be times where you have contributed and worked within a team, decision making etc.

Final section:
    - This should be quick and 'punchy', leaving the reader with a firm impression of what you want to do and that you have a strong desire to study your subject of choice.

Could you think of something that is happening currently which has inspired you to study this subject? The rise of unlawful activity, maybe? Wanting to gain further understanding as to why crimes are committed throughout society? Because you have become aware of illegal activities becoming a 'norm' in society, and you wish to gain an insight as to why this is happening? Gain a sense of awareness when it comes to understanding the human mind and the crimes that perpetrators choose to commit?

What subjects are you doing? Can you link those to criminology in anyway? Law? Psychology? Sociology? All of which can tie in with this statement and you can use these subjects to further prove you have a background knowledge of similar topics related to criminology.

ReputationRep:
    Try to answer these three questions to get started:

1.) Why do you want to study the subject?

2.) How do the subject you do in school relate to it? For example, are there any transferrable skills, or maybe you did a topic which made you read up on something to do with criminology. If you're doing history, this may be a good angle.

3.) Have you done any wider reading around the subject? If you haven't, I suggest you get started: there are loads of great articles online and you can also buy introductory books. Say why they interest you, what you liked, etc.

Hope this helps you get started! I'm also writing mine at the moment, so I'm really only passing on advice I got
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Use the links in my signature The tool talks you through the whole process. Focus on why criminology now, rather than how

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.