Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

So I didn't realise that I needed to have 2 pieces of written work to apply, one relating to English and the other to Classics, so basically I've got an English piece prepared but not a Classics one. The issue is that I've not studied Classics before and I'm not sure how to go about the Classics piece? Could I just produce an essay studying a Classical text, i.e. The Oedipus Trilogy or The Iliad, or could I compare a text from the classical era with an English text? Also when I apply on UCAS how do you specify whether you're applying for Latin or Ancient Greek or do you need to do this at this stage?

Any help is much appreciated as I'm feeling a bit panicked! When I talked to them awhile ago (late June) they said there was only 1 piece, but then I checked online because I started to doubt myself and it said 2! I think maybe the tutor I spoke to meant if I was applying for English alone rather than combined?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bibliophile97)
    Hey

So I didn't realise that I needed to have 2 pieces of written work to apply, one relating to English and the other to Classics, so basically I've got an English piece prepared but not a Classics one. The issue is that I've not studied Classics before and I'm not sure how to go about the Classics piece? Could I just produce an essay studying a Classical text, i.e. The Oedipus Trilogy or The Iliad, or could I compare a text from the classical era with an English text? Also when I apply on UCAS how do you specify whether you're applying for Latin or Ancient Greek or do you need to do this at this stage?

Any help is much appreciated as I'm feeling a bit panicked! When I talked to them awhile ago (late June) they said there was only 1 piece, but then I checked online because I started to doubt myself and it said 2! I think maybe the tutor I spoke to meant if I was applying for English alone rather than combined?
    It's not imperative that you have one piece of work for each; many people are in your situation. Given that technically you aren't allowed to produce a piece specifically for the purpose of applying, they would not be able to disadvantage you for not having an essay related to classics. I submitted a politics essay, which was sort of approaching the philosophy end of the classics scale but really it could be anything using similar analytical skills.

I'm fairly certain you don't need to state which language you wish to study on UCAS, although cannot remember for sure so others may be better able to advise you (@Lucilou).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bibliophile97)
    Hey

Thanks for the tag

As Adam said - many people dont study Classics, so any essay is fine really as long as it shows good analytical skills etc.

I'm pretty certain you dont put down your choice of language when you apply, they either will ask you at interview or it'll be part of an extra form they'll send to you to fill in (this also contains questions like 'would you consider being offered straight Classics or English' etc)

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! this is really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamY)
    It's not imperative that you have one piece of work for each; many people are in your situation. Given that technically you aren't allowed to produce a piece specifically for the purpose of applying, they would not be able to disadvantage you for not having an essay related to classics. I submitted a politics essay, which was sort of approaching the philosophy end of the classics scale but really it could be anything using similar analytical skills.

I'm fairly certain you don't need to state which language you wish to study on UCAS, although cannot remember for sure so others may be better able to advise you (@Lucilou).
    thank you so much! this is really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamY)

it's good to know that you used a politics essay as I was thinking of maybe using one of my history or religious studies essays, or else another english essay

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.