Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I have been together a while (two years as of today). He's going to Hull Uni this year and I intend to next year.

We're considering living together in what will be his second and my first year. I'm just wondering what other peoples' experience and opinions are on this.

I'm open to any opinions except the argument that it'll be awkward if we break up because no it won't.

ReputationRep:
    Dating someone and living with them are two completely different kettles of fish. In my own life I ended up living someone who was the messiest person on this planet. Another moving-in-together project ended after we went on holiday and discovered we really weren't for each other.

The only advice I would suggest is to keep things going and take the decision to move in together nearer the time and maybe go on holiday with each other before you take the plunge. Life is full of change right now and the priority is university and getting good qualifications. You have got the rest of your life to play happy families afterwards.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Dating someone and living with them are two completely different kettles of fish. In my own life I ended up living someone who was the messiest person on this planet. Another moving-in-together project ended after we went on holiday and discovered we really weren't for each other.

The only advice I would suggest is to keep things going and take the decision to move in together nearer the time and maybe go on holiday with each other before you take the plunge. Life is full of change right now and the priority is university and getting good qualifications. You have got the rest of your life to play happy families afterwards.

Good luck!
    I probably should have mentioned we already see each other every day and have lived together for periods of weeks at time, whoops! The only problem with a holiday is that right now all my money I'm saving up in case we do decide to live each other and neither of us can really afford it right now. Thank you for your input though

ReputationRep:
    If you've lived with him for several weeks then you should be fine, but just be aware that you want to be as sociable as possible during your first year especially if you want to make friends; living with your boyfriend may make you less inclined to be sociable...
    In university there are plenty of people who immediately get into relationships early on and then they become quite isolated because they don't continually meet up and go out with acquaintances, which you need to do if you want to make friends that last longer than fresher's week.
    But if you make an effort to join societies and go out to events and stuff you should be fine- good luck!
    And I don't mean to be overly sceptic but try to have separate friends from him just in case you break up...

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I would say is you will miss out on the university freshers halls experience, if this really doesn't bother you go for it but if you want to make lots of friends and like nights out then wait till your second year you can still see him all the time as you'll be close.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.