Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have my 4th driving lesson on Thursday and I was wondering what things I should be doing by the 4th lesson?

I have read online somewhere some things which makes me think that I am far behind. My instructor has yet to really teach me about gears. We've gone over the basic but I haven't been told to change gears yet. Am i really far behind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble_10)
    Hey,

I have my 4th driving lesson on Thursday and I was wondering what things I should be doing by the 4th lesson?

I have read online somewhere some things which makes me think that I am far behind. My instructor has yet to really teach me about gears. We've gone over the basic but I haven't been told to change gears yet. Am i really far behind?
    Gears are all part of a basic skill and should be covered at least in theory on the first lesson. The second lesson usually puts this into practice if it wasn't possible (or time was short) on the first. Have you really been driving in 1st gear only for three lessons?

There is no definitive answer to your question about where you should be on your 4th lesson as everyone is different and you don't specify the length of your lessons.

If you don't understand yet what the gears actually do, then you may need to prod your instructor to get this understanding into you before proceeding further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble_10)
    Hey,

Not really behind. Around 4th lesson you should be working on something you're still struggling with from previous lessons (such as moving off, gears) or moving onto next item on your instructor's list. Mine was left turn on a junction, we went around multiple times until I got hang of it since it teaches you moving off and stopping (observations, mirrors, etc).

ReputationRep:
    Like others said, your instructor should cater it to you. But I understand your concern, as you don't want to be stuck with an instructor who's going to need you to do 50 lessons to teach you what another might in 20. I was stuck in first gear for my first lesson then I went into second in the second one. Third in my third lesson and I've not yet gone above that. My fourth was just more of the same. I suggest you get your lessons with less time in between so you forget less

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wouldn't worry, we're all good/bad at different aspects of driving whilst learning. I picked up all the physical stuff like gears, clutch control etc. very quickly but struggled making sense of everything going on at complex junctions which took a number of my lessons up.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone. All my 3 lessons were 1 hour long so maybe that's why. The next 5 lessons are 2 hours each so we'll probably cover a lot more

ReputationRep:
    I learnt to drive within about an hour. Took ages to learn to drive safely though.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.