Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    So, I'm currently about to start my second year doing a sciences course and I've decided to start saving up for my first mortgage.

Essentially, I'd like some suggestions on raising my credit rating over the next three years to increase my chances. I have two credit cards (one is never actually used) and four current accounts. I'm going through the process of closing the unused current account (the 2nd is also unused, but I can't close it because my student account is attached to it) one is daily spending, the other is online banking.

Would it be a good idea to close the unused credit account or would it be better to keep it active? To split my costs between accounts? Once I have an initial £3000, I'm intending on opening a Santander 123 current account to make use of its 3% AER - but would it be better for the credit score if all my earnings were simply deposited into a savings account?
    Anyone got any advice?
    Thanks for your time!
    - Sub

ReputationRep:
    There is only one place worthy of a stop when looking for advice on money and that is Mr MoneySavingExpert

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mor...rtgage-chances

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Any 'dormant' accounts, whether credit card based or personal banking based, won't look desirable on a credit report. It would be better to close the second unused credit card down, or use it for your weekly groceries and pay it off in full every month. Even tiny spends on a credit card that are paid in full every month have just as much weight on a credit report as huge amounts if paid in full. Its all about consistency and reliability. Basically, prove you don't need it, before they will let you have it.

ReputationRep:
    That's a nice link, and Seraphelle has good advice, thanks both!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.