Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm currently in year 10 and predicted an A grade in science at GCSE. I was looking at university courses and I would like to take forensic science in university. The requirement is that you have at least a B in biology. I was wondering, how hard actually is biology at A level? How much different is it compared to GCSE?

Very far into the future I know, just curious

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hard. I've had a few lessons and I'm sitting there thinking "What?!". It's a big jump from GCSE.

It helps to go over work during frees or at home. It's good for understanding.

ReputationRep:
    If you get an A at GCSE I don't think you'll have much of a problem getting at least a B at A level.
    I found the hardest thing was having to memorize exactly what answers the exam board wanted, as they can be very strict on how they want the answers worded.

ReputationRep:
    Really hard the first time you learn about a new topic. Usually after going over it a second time everything's a lot clearer. I'm sure there's been 6 or 7 lessons over As where I simply had no idea what was going on for that hour. I got a B at AS (1 u ms office an A) and I'm trying to get an A in the overall A level.

ReputationRep:
    hey, i did maths biology chemistry and history at AS, I found biology was the easiest of the 4 and was a break from the maths and chemistry which were quite challenging compared to biology. But biology requires a lot more memorising and actual revising as mark schemes are very specific so in some respects is harder.
    I think a A at GCSE is sufficient enough for you to do Biology at A-level and get a B easily for your forensic science course at Uni
    hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Okay! Thank you guys a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaTaLiiA513)
    Hard. I've had a few lessons and I'm sitting there thinking "What?!". It's a big jump from GCSE.

It helps to go over work during frees or at home. It's good for understanding.
    Are you doing AS too? It does take a little getting used to, but I found the topics we covered much more interesting than anything we did at GCSE, so I'm glad I took it. You'll get used to it!

ReputationRep:
    Really easy if you just learn the textbook, it's all about regurgitating information and key words in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    easy as pie

just kidding,
    its hard as hell

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my A levels which included Biology and will be going on to study Biology at uni, from my experience I would say that it isn't a particularly difficult subject however it is extremely time consuming because there is so much written material to cover and when it comes round to revision there is an awful lot to remember. By the sound of your predicted grade as long as you put in the effort you should achieve the B grade good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessayBunnay)
    Hey! I'm currently in year 10 and predicted an A grade in science at GCSE. I was looking at university courses and I would like to take forensic science in university. The requirement is that you have at least a B in biology. I was wondering, how hard actually is biology at A level? How much different is it compared to GCSE?

Very far into the future I know, just curious

Thank you
    Taking Biology as a separate GCSE rather than just science is obviously beneficial but with an A in that I'm sure you should be fine.
    To be honest, I didn't find the actual content of the subject that much more challenging than at GCSE, the thing that actually becomes a lot more difficult is the exams. You have to be very specific with the wording that you use to answer questions as missing out just two words could lose you all marks of that question.
    So long as you're prepared for a lot of revision and spend time reading over all of the mark schemes then you will get a lot out of it

Good luck with your GCSE's next year !

ReputationRep:
    Massively harder than GCSE, my daughter got As in GCSE core science and Additional science, but despite having a private tutor as well as being in a good supportive state school got an E at AS, it seems to be how you answer the questions rather than knowing the subjects in exams. Anyway, to cut a long story short, do you actually need ALevel Biology for Forensic Science? Can you do it with any science? If so, and you think you may struggle why not look into Applied Science which is 70% course work. My daughter dumped Biology and did Applied Science in one year, getting a high B grade and is starting at a Russell Group in a week.

Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    Okay! Thank you to everyone who has answered I feel a lot better about it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViewOnlyMum)
    Massively harder than GCSE, my daughter got As in GCSE core science and Additional science, but despite having a private tutor as well as being in a good supportive state school got an E at AS, it seems to be how you answer the questions rather than knowing the subjects in exams. Anyway, to cut a long story short, do you actually need ALevel Biology for Forensic Science? Can you do it with any science? If so, and you think you may struggle why not look into Applied Science which is 70% course work. My daughter dumped Biology and did Applied Science in one year, getting a high B grade and is starting at a Russell Group in a week.

Good luck x
    Yes, I do need at least a B in biology unfortunately and even more unfortunately, the college in my area don't have A level applied science, only BTEC which doesn't give me the UCAS points I need to get into the university.

Thank you for the advise though! I guess I'll just have to try my best and see what happens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessayBunnay)
    Yes, I do need at least a B in biology unfortunately and even more unfortunately, the college in my area don't have A level applied science, only BTEC which doesn't give me the UCAS points I need to get into the university.

Thank you for the advise though! I guess I'll just have to try my best and see what happens!
    Oh dear, I wish you the best of luck anyway, in that case maybe look hard into how you answer those damn exam questions as that seemed to be the stumbling block in this house !

Daughter knew the answers to the questions but putting them down on paper how the examiners wanted to seem them appeared to be the issue. Anyway, have confidence you will be fine!

Just one other thing, if any of the universities you are considering will accept Applied Science at ALevel, they will usually accept it at BTEC subsidiary with other Alevels too. IMO BTEC subsidiary diplomas in place of the odd ALevel or two are fab, all course work, and most (obviously not your Oxbridge universities) universities, including RG will accept them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViewOnlyMum)
    Oh dear, I wish you the best of luck anyway, in that case maybe look hard into how you answer those damn exam questions as that seemed to be the stumbling block in this house !

Daughter knew the answers to the questions but putting them down on paper how the examiners wanted to seem them appeared to be the issue. Anyway, have confidence you will be fine!

Just one other thing, if any of the universities you are considering will accept Applied Science at ALevel, they will usually accept it at BTEC subsidiary with other Alevels too. IMO BTEC subsidiary diplomas in place of the odd ALevel or two are fab, all course work, and most (obviously not your Oxbridge universities) universities, including RG will accept them.
    Okay! Thank you very much for your help! I will take all that into careful consideration in the future

ReputationRep:
    AS is okay - quite straightforward. A2 is a lot more challenging! good luck with everything

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 11, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.