Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am having an argument in my head over swapping history to geography. But i want to know why geography is better than history
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by abds2002)
    I am having an argument in my head over swapping history to geography. But i want to know why geography is better than history
    I took both and although i enjoy them both and they are very interesting in their own way, i would say i am more motivated to learn history over geography.
    but here's what geography is like during gcse in my school, you learn physical and human geography.

Are you interested in learning about the Earth's landscape and the processes? physical geography i would say is a little bit scientific like explain the formation of waterfalls, why do the coast erode and so on. where as human geography is basically common sense and reasoning like why do people move to the countryside? why do companies build their factories in LEDC? why do birth rates increase in this area etc etc.

Both subject have very similar skills, they both require good explaination skills and long answers for some questions. I would say geography has helped me to understand a lot of things, such as things to consider when moving to new places, and how the economy works in a way, and how people around the world live their lives. For history, it taught me politics, lots of useful terminology that i see in the media that i couldnt understand before and why the world is how it is now because of what happened before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abds2002)
    I had the same trouble when taking my options.
    Just think about which one you understand better and at the same time, the one that u kind of enjoy the most. When u enjoy something, u r more likely to concentrate in it and do the work up to a better standard.
    Also, everyone has a different opinion on which is better. Depending on what u want to be, think about which one would work out better for u

ReputationRep:
    I took both and got the same grade in both. Personally found history to be much much more interesting (continued it to A Level) whereas I really wasn't a fan of geography. I'd put it down 100% to enjoyment; don't take it because it "looks better" because no one really cares what GCSE subjects you took in the long run (within reason). Whatever one you think you would enjoy more and do better in, I would stick to

ReputationRep:
    HISTORY all the way!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I took both at GCSE...personally I preferred History, and I'm doing A2 History right now.

Both of them can show good skills, as long as you get a good grade in them of course. I have to admit that I found Geography harder, but I've always been more interested in History anyway.

Have a look at both of them from a course perspective, and see which one you like the sound of most.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.