The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Classics

Hi,
I'm applying for Classics, and I'm going for Oxbridge, but I'm not sure whether to choose oxford or Cambridge. I only decided relatively late that I was applying for classics (let alone Oxbridge) and I think I will only have time to visit the oxford open day.
To give you some background info, I am in year 13, so applying this year, and I study maths, biology and latin. I dropped chemistry. (Was originally applying for medicine hence heavily science based). I got over 95% UMS in maths, bio and latin AS level and I got 90% UMS in chemistry (which I've dropped). I can't tell you whether I like the 'feel' of oxford or Cambridge more because I haven't been to either yet (although I'm going to oxford soon). But I'm trying to make up my mind based on the course structure so would be very grateful if someone could elucidate what the differences between the oxford and Cambridge classics course is and what uni you think would be better for me based on the info I have provided above. I have looked on the websites for each university, but I find it quite hard to follow! (Bear in mind I am just applying for plain Classics, not classics and something else!) And in your opinion which one do you think has the more interesting classics course?
Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Hi,
I'm applying for Classics, and I'm going for Oxbridge, but I'm not sure whether to choose oxford or Cambridge. I only decided relatively late that I was applying for classics (let alone Oxbridge) and I think I will only have time to visit the oxford open day.
To give you some background info, I am in year 13, so applying this year, and I study maths, biology and latin. I dropped chemistry. (Was originally applying for medicine hence heavily science based). I got over 95% UMS in maths, bio and latin AS level and I got 90% UMS in chemistry (which I've dropped). I can't tell you whether I like the 'feel' of oxford or Cambridge more because I haven't been to either yet (although I'm going to oxford soon). But I'm trying to make up my mind based on the course structure so would be very grateful if someone could elucidate what the differences between the oxford and Cambridge classics course is and what uni you think would be better for me based on the info I have provided above. I have looked on the websites for each university, but I find it quite hard to follow! (Bear in mind I am just applying for plain Classics, not classics and something else!) And in your opinion which one do you think has the more interesting classics course?
Thanks in advance!

I went to Oxford, so I'm biased, but I loved the course! There's so much choice (after mods- although you get 2 options even at mods level) and the range is fantastic. You choose 8 modules across different areas (literature, history, philosophy, archaeology, linguistics) and you have options to do modern philosophy and linguistics as well, and also modern green poetry and classical reception. It's a really great course. Would personally recommend my college (Somerville) as the tutors are really lovely and the college is pretty, liberal, friendly, and a little bit out of town so less touristy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest