The Student Room Group

How to utilize the free periods?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hopefulmedic1998
Hi I just started my as levels and have 7 frees a week. i just want to know what should i do during these periods apart from hw which usually only takes my 20 mins. should i be reading around the chapter, reading ahead? what should i be doing to get the best possible grades and not fall behind .

thanks in advance:smile:

walk to the shops, buy food and caffeinated drinks, walk back to school
Original post by hopefulmedic1998
Hi I just started my as levels and have 7 frees a week. i just want to know what should i do during these periods apart from hw which usually only takes my 20 mins. should i be reading around the chapter, reading ahead? what should i be doing to get the best possible grades and not fall behind .

thanks in advance:smile:

Homework will quickly become a lot more than 20 minutes within a few weeks (and if it doesn't, then there's an issue), so that will take up quite a bit of your time. Otherwise, revise - mock exams, and real exams, will arrive much quicker than you think, so reviewing the content you just learned will help significantly. Some people I know read ahead for AS History, but it didn't help much, because by the time we reached the new content, they'd forgotten it, and they didn't know the old content well enough - so I'd advise prioritising content you've already covered. Additionally, there will almost always be some kind of wider reading you can do, to further your knowledge; as a bonus, if you found some reading particularly inspiring, that links to your chosen course at uni, you'll be able to talk about it in your personal statement next year.
Original post by PrimeLime
Well as long as you make sure understand the content in Maths fully there's no need for extra reading - that's for sure. Maybe if you can't understand it all fully then doing extra reading to achieve this might help.

Before that horrid exam, I was taught that if you do past papers consistently, you would do well. I was just mindlessly doing the same sort of questions over and over again, and I didn't fully understand the concepts.

The Solomon paper questions were a huge shock, coming from past papers. They actually made you think about the topic and you had to fully understand the concepts to get even a C in them.

The Solomon questions I did were on the topics I learned in class, though, and I skipped the ones which didn't apply to me. :smile:
Reply 63
Revise, make notes, do any homework you have so that you don't slack off when you get home. It made such a difference for me last year compared to doing nothing at AS

Quick Reply

Latest